• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OE Champion spark plug number for 69 440

resq302

Reaction score
I know the OE factory installed spark plugs were made by Champion. What I don't remember is what the Champion part number was. Anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
I know you now have the answer but for everyone's info, Champion J11Y

That's because you can't find J11Y's. It's probably OK but a plug on the hot side can cause engine damage. On the other hand, you kind of need a hotter spark to burn today's cheap ethanol laced fuel. J14Y was standard on a lower compression 383 2bbl. I would just check the plugs to make sure they are not burning white. You want them to have a nice light evenly burned tan look.

droptop

Reaction score
That's because you can't find J11Y's. It's probably OK but a plug on the hot side can cause engine damage. On the other hand, you kind of need a hotter spark to burn today's cheap ethanol laced fuel. J14Y was standard on a lower compression 383 2bbl. I would just check the plugs to make sure they are not burning white. You want them to have a nice light evenly burned tan look.

?????? There is a man in the swap at Carlisle ever year that sells them for $35 a set. I also did a search on Ebag that turned up several sets but at a much higher price of course. But you are correct about needing a hotter plug with today's gas. It won't hardly burn when you light a match to it. LOL:

resq302

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a bunch of NOS J13-Y's. Is that just a hotter plug than the J-11Y's or would that be too hot?

Back