• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Preference

gopkrz@q.com

Reaction score
Any suggestions or preference for oil. Stock 383.

Last edited:

droptop

Reaction score
I use 10w40 of what ever brand is on sale. The key to oil for me is to make sure you can see through it on the dip stick. If you can't read the stick without wiping it off, it needs to be changed.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Nope. If I have a new camshaft installed, I will use it for the first 3-4 oil changes. But after a couple hundred heat cycles, it is not necessary IMHO.

Cheap insurance. Why did they not just make break in oil for the first 9,000 miles in years past? All the new motors are rollers so no issue.

Last edited:

Coyote

Reaction score
This is gonna end up like the gear oil thread a little while back. A lot of it is personal preference. Almost all newer cars are roller engines, a lot use synthetic with he computer advising when to change it. I switched all my older vehicles to 15W40 Diesel oil several years ago when the phosphorus and zinc was cut way back in oil for pollution control. When it first happened there were tons of horror stories about new flat tappet cams and lifters "wiping" and ruining engines with metal particles.

Oil was blamed as the culprit and then a little more info came out that a lot of cams and lifters (including some name brands) were imported and may not have had the quality control that the cam companies were used to. The combination of substandard quality and lack of phosphorus and zinc were the issues.

I use Comp Cams break in additive for new flat tappets for the initial break in and the first oil change. After that, I trust the diesel oil to get the job done. I use just about ANY name brand oil 10W30 for break in with the additive then switch to the diesel oil.

Just as an aside, Shell has purchased the Quaker State and Pennzoil brands. I'd just about bet that there is probably not a nickles worth of differece in their additive packages. All have had great quality and brand loyalty for years. Go with what's on sale! Maybe save a few bucks!

ykf7b0

Reaction score
I was using Valvoline VR 1 until I found I could get the Brad Penn oils cheaper than VR 1 buying it at local race shops. In my opinion there is non better than Brad Penn which is the former Kendall brand. Brad Penn oils are very popular at the local drag strips and dirt tracks in my area but are not limited to race engines.

Back