• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting the raised lettering on dash panel

bstan70rr

Reaction score
Anybody ever paint the raised lettering on the dash panel? I need to do it on my Road Runner, but I am going to do it on my 67 Dart first. What kind of paint, but more importantly, what kind of brush? I have fairly steady hands, but I don't want to have to repaint the whole thing.

John69RR

Reaction score
I painted mine with one of those paint pens. They are available at hobby stores. I used the "Fine" point on mine. Mac has done a few also. Will look for pics later today.

Mel69rrvert

Reaction score
I painted mine with a Q tip. Dipped the Q tip in white paint and lightly rolled it across the raised letters. Turned out great!

mac

What ?
Reaction score
ultra fine paint pen worked well. just remember that only the letters and the raised dot get the paint. not the box around each switch.
IMG_1535-1.jpg
IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1538.jpg

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Mac, where are you finding the paint pens, any particular store, or do you buy them online?

bstan70rr

Reaction score
Woaaa! I am dealing with professionals here. Awesome. I hope mine comes out as well.

I did not realize the RR's panel would come out so easy. I wish my Dart panels would have come out as easy. I would have had to take out my steering wheel to get the main panel out. The speedometer has a big piece in the back that means it has to fold out, and the drive indicator is in the way. Not a big fan of the latching mechanism that locks the backs into place either.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
Mac, where are you finding the paint pens, any particular store, or do you buy them online?

the last time i bought them was at joann fabrics. was made by elmers, ultra fine tip. the trick for me was to get the paint flowing and wipe it once on a paper towel, then light pressure. you do not want the paint flowing to much as you will fill in certain letters like the "A", "E", and if not to carefull the "O"

BBillyC

Reaction score
I used an eraser dipped in white paint and just dabbed. I would like to know how you restore the black textured surface???

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Here is one I have restored that I am going to put on the b-body site tomorrow for sale. I got my pen at Joanns oops I better get better pics the lint looks like a scratch :lol:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Elmers pen from Wal Mart

Was afraid when I went to take mine out that I would peel the paint off the lower pad.

So I got a black one also and painted it all in place. had a little trouble with one letter A. Not hard at all, looks great.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have one on the shelf and ready to go when the time comes to worry about such matters. I did mine the hard way; I threw some cash and a cold beer at Mac... :lol:

:jester:

Steve

Reaction score
I tried removing my dash panel last year to paint the letters,taking out the 4 screws but it still wouldn't budge.Is it held in by something else as I'll have another go when I get the car back.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Steve said:
I tried removing my dash panel last year to paint the letters,taking out the 4 screws but it still wouldn't budge.Is it held in by something else as I'll have another go when I get the car back.
The pad its self holds it in. The right side has sharp corners so take a screw driver and slip it between the pad and paned on the left side and pry it out. If the pad is old and dry or cold I would warm it with a hair dryer so it doesn't crack.

Steve

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Steve said:
The pad its self holds it in. The right side has sharp corners so take a screw driver and slip it between the pad and paned on the left side and pry it out. If the pad is old and dry or cold I would warm it with a hair dryer so it doesn't crack.

Thanks Bob :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You can pull the dimmer but if you get the left side started you can work on the right. I put mine in the same way giving the right a head start with all the switches in place. I guess it would depend on how pliable the pad is.

Collin

Reaction score
That looks great....sounds like a decent winter job for myself. I also have a small crack in the dash above the cig tray...anyone use a plastic welder or any other system to repair this? If nothing comes out great I am tempted to leave it alone...

Back