• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Petty blue

petty 43

Reaction score
Ok from what i have seen looks like i may cop a bit of shit here about BLUE but im gunna carry on SO i have been looking on the net to find another Petty blue 69rr to compare and as of yet have found only one can any one tell me how many bluies rolled of the line or where can i find out and did they come with the bonnet(hood) black outs also i was told my car had a red stripe on the upper door edge :brickwall: any help from my fellow road runners will help me to get this car back to what it was :cheers:

moparstuart

Reaction score
petty 43 said:
Ok from what i have seen looks like i may cop a bit of shit here about BLUE but im gunna carry on SO i have been looking on the net to find another Petty blue 69rr to compare and as of yet have found only one can any one tell me how many bluies rolled of the line or where can i find out and did they come with the bonnet(hood) black outs also i was told my car had a red stripe on the upper door edge :brickwall: any help from my fellow road runners will help me to get this car back to what it was :cheers:

do you have a paint code ? 999 paint code was avalible in 70 for petty blue , never heard of a 69 999 blue car ???????????????

Roadcuda

Reaction score
FWIW, I remember seeing an ad for a very rough '69 RR that was Petty Blue. So there could be more out there.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, there are no records of how many cars were painted any color or trim combos etc.

The best thing to do is to post your fender tag info if possible. If you feel more comfortable, you can leave off the VIN number. From there we may be able to help you figure out how the car was decked out when it rolled off the line.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
petty 43 said:

do you have a paint code ? 999 paint code was avalible in 70 for petty blue , never heard of a 69 999 blue car ???????????????

I'm with Sturat on this one. I am no authority and do not know for sure...but I find it highly unlikely that there were ANY Petty Blue '69's built since PETTY WAS DRIVING A PHORD in '69... Yours is the first and only '69 I've seen...stunning combo...doubt it came that way from the factory though...would be cool if it did...would have to be extremely RARE if so... :cents:

:jester:
Ray

droptop

Reaction score
Petty did not go with Ford until right before the Nascar season started in '69. There were a few very early '69 models with Petty blue paint. You have a very rare car if it is one of them. It will be a 99 code for 69. The three digit paint codes started in '70.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've got a magazine around here that has a small story in it about the Petty Blue '69s. Can't remember the deal on them. I have to head out to Ohio State right after work in the am, I'll see if I can dig out the mag when we get home.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
droptop said:
Petty did not go with Ford until right before the Nascar season started in '69. There were a few very early '69 models with Petty blue paint. You have a very rare car if it is one of them. It will be a 99 code for 69. The three digit paint codes started in '70.

Good point, Harold...it's easy to forget that the '69's would have come out in the fall of '68 whereas the NASCAR season doesn't begin until February...providing the necessary window for this combo... :thumbsup:

ACME

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
By golly, I think you guys are right............. :lol:

Well... yea... of course. :stuckup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":39iw2n9e]By golly, I think you guys are right............. :lol:

Well... yea... of course. :stuckup:[/quote:39iw2n9e]

Apparently Gary thought that we were just asked to hang around to make the place look better... :lol:

petty 43

Reaction score
Ok Guys yep i been on that site if you have noticed the blaitant plagerism of the rr wheelie bird and the signature and is the only one i have seen im at work so i cant get the broardcast sheet but i will when i get home (3 weeks) so they are most probably a rare combo right or shall i just paint it orange :acme: thank for the input keep it comming :thumbsup: :cheers:

A12

Reaction score
Sorry but just for fun and a little :acme: I always thought it was called "Petty Blue" but I remember seeing something somewhere that pointed out it was officially called "Corporate Blue" and it just so happened that Petty painted his Plymouth cars the corporate color by accident or was it using what was left for paint :D

As for '69 Petty did drive a Phord Talledega as was already pointed out and it was available in blue Ford Blue :D petty_talladega2.jpg because he knew Dodge was going to have the Daytona and he was going to be at a big "aero" disadvantage for the '69 season. The '70 Plymouth Superbird was supposedly only built to get Petty back in a Plymouth.27PlymouthSuperbirdClose.jpg

A12

Reaction score
'68 paint chart with "Corporate Blue"

A12

Reaction score
Now what about Hawaiian Blue.......I think that was way to pale to be considered "Petty Blue" and I pretty sure although it was always referred to as Petty Blue it was Corporate Blue officially.

MikeR

Back