• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Petty blue

A12

Reaction score
Corporate Blue was listed on the very bottom of the '69 paint chart but not as a 999 or "Spring Color". Could you order it with the paint number listed, not sure?

A12

Reaction score
I think this might be B3 (Ice Blue Poly) but it's metallic not corporate/Petty

A12

Reaction score
I guess Corporate Blue is darker than Petty Blue, you can see the difference between the Superbird and the dealer service sign and this Petty race car in the ad...

and here is the supposed real story on Petty Blue from Allpar (coincidentally when they went to paint the '59 Plymouth Fury:

Lee Petty wins the first Daytona high-banked oval race and rejoins Chrysler
Lee Petty won the first race ever held at the Daytona Beach high banked oval. He was locked in a three way dual on the final lap. An unusual angle for the finish line camera seemed to show that John Beauchamp had won the race. However, other pictorial evidence indicated that Lee Petty had won by a width of the Oldsmobile's bumper. Finally, after three days, a lap recount was made, and it turned out that not only was it a length of a bumper, it included one full lap. Beauchamp had only turned 199 laps to Lee's 200. Lee Petty was declared the outright winner. Lee reverted back to the trusty 1957 Oldsmobile for short tracks. The 1959 model was to big.
Lee knew the 1957s were too old. He had his eye on a certain make of car that would lead him back to his earlier philosophy that lighter is better. He made a few inquiries and was rewarded with a phone call from Highland Park, Michigan. Within a few hours, 4 "in white" 1959 Plymouth Fury cars were on their way to Level Cross, North Carolina. Plymouth was rather eager to help. They had not recorded a single win in two NASCAR seasons when Lee Petty had left them for the Oldsmobile. Dodge went one full season without any wins in 1958. 2 of the cars were convertibles for Richard, and two of the cars were hardtops ostensibly for Lee. Just about the time that the deal was struck in the spring of 1959, NASCAR announced that 1959 would be the last season for convertible racing. Too dangerous for the driver was their conclusion. Top down racing provided no protection in a roll over. And there were plenty of them on short dirt tracks. With no thought to that, Richard competed heavily in his new Plymouth convertible. Lee responded to the help given him by Chrysler Corporation by winning the very first event that he ran his new Fury in June 1959. After using the Oldsmobile cars for 20 races, the Plymouth's took over, and the Petty organization never looked back.
Petty Blue
Richard's Fury wasn't ready until just before the July 4 Firecracker 250 at Daytona. Both Lee and Richard competed in the hardtop Fury's in that race. Lee lasted 77 laps, only to watch his son make one more circuit and retire on lap 78. However, things like that were not the norm for the Pettys. They prided themselves on being prepared before getting to a race track and it showed. Richard competed in 21 races in 1959. He came in 4th in the convertible division and 15th overall in the Grand National points chase. Doing Plymouth and Petty Enterprises proud, Lee Petty won his third Grand National Championship. The cement that made the organization had Plymouth written all over it. 1959 also marked the first use of "Petty Blue" for the paint on the Petty built cars.
When asked directly about the "Petty Blue" color, Richard related, years later, that indeed, it had been a fluke. Late in the 1959 season, after having to rebuild one of the '59 Plymouth Fury's, Maurice told Richard that they didn't have enough white paint for the painting of the entire car. Being brought up to waste nothing, Richard found some dark blue paint, but not in a sufficient amount to paint the whole car. Richard said they he looked at Maurice, and Maurice looked at him, and they just dumped the two paints into one tub, then proceeded to paint the Plymouth in the color that came out. When they got done, they were impressed themselves with the hue. Lee came back from an out of town race, and marveled at how that color set the car off. Almost electric is what he said. Of course, Richard and Maurice had to scramble to remember the right mix. Once they did, the formula became their secret, even to the point of being patented by a paint company as Petty Blue.
When the 1960 season dawned, their was only one color on the Petty cars. The "electric" Petty Blue. It became their trademark.

petty 43

Reaction score
Ok i had another look at the other "petty blue "car and from what i can tell its a jam job(slang for re spray) it looks like it was a dark metallic blue have a look at the 2 interiorsBYq1cWkKGrHgoOKiIEjlLmKVwBKfTfv9N_1.jpgINTERIOR.jpg and if you look at the trunk there is metallic blue in the seal area any one agreeBYqggBmkKGrHgoOKicEjlLmZ3G2BKfTfJjU.jpgthis is my trunk by the way

petty 43

Reaction score
Ok Gazza looks like i might have to put a BOUNTY on the first TRUE BLUE petty car (other than mine which i gotta prove yet when i get home) so i got 1 Ozzy Harley T-shirt to the first one of you mongrels with mercenary tendencies to settle this for me (with out making me look like a DICK :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
We will do our best........as for making you look like a Dick.............we will leave that one up to you......... :lol:

A12

Reaction score
petty 43 said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: get stuffed Gazza :thumbsup:

(Richard) Petty 43 or would that be ("Dick") Petty 43 :lmao: do you have a fender tag or a broadcast sheet for the car or did I miss that and sorry for being a Richard :jester:

Was the car a complete repaint because the factory left red oxide primer is areas like under the dash behind the kick panels and around the roof pilars and where the top shoulder belt attaches to the roof. You can sometimes see traces of the original colour in the overlap area in those spots?

A friend bought a black with red interior 4-speed '68 Hemi Road Runner with a fender tag that read that's what is was and then found an old for sale ad with his car's VIN and it was a silver with blue interior, AUTOMATIC Hemi Road Runner, yep colour and trans change by the third owner. He found the original owner and the third owner still had the original fender tag and my friend put it back to the silver/blue and it ended up as a show winner two years ago (yep Rick J's car). So anything is possible and it could be original, you just never know. I have a '68 Belvedere that I want to do in Petty Blue ala NASCAR style for the street.

MikeR

petty 43

Reaction score
Mike As i said im at work and wont be home for 3 weeks the car arrived the day i left so no time to do the numbers check i m just gathering info now well i hope its what i was told im no expert on these so thats why im here so all you Guru's :worship: :worship: can sort this newbie out nice buch of cars plymouthfan by the way thanks for the help :cheers:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
So, what do you do for a living that keeps you away for weeks......if your like a secret agent or something, just tell me to stop being nosey....... :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
He hunts Crocodiles.

paul_hogan_as_michael_j_crocodile_d.jpg

petty 43

Reaction score
I gotta do the black outs on the hood that on the blue looks tuff i was told that mine had the red stripe i got a kit from Pheonix graphics sent to me but i dont really know how it will look on the blue i will decide that once i get the paint topped up

petty 43

Reaction score
Ok close but not close enough but what i have found out is the guy who restored it in the states he got the car for 700 bucks it was white and in grubby state no eng or box when he was looking at the car he opened the trunk and it was the "petty blue" he is going to get back to me in more detail the guys name is Will Garretson lets see what unfolds from here :cheers:

Back