• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Primer

Collin

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Been very busy on the RR blocking the high build primer. Looking to shoot the T7 in the jambs, trunk engine bay the week of April 15. What color primer is needed before I do this? I have seen black used before plum crazy, and I noticed black primer under the factory paint. I have heard to use red oxide from others? Not sure on this...will be using PPG paints. [attachment=1:3vmd87d1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365370076.193538.jpg[/attachment:3vmd87d1][attachment=0:3vmd87d1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365370083.326795.jpg[/attachment:3vmd87d1]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365370076.193538.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365370083.326795.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I would contact a ppg rep and see what they recommend, its their paint.

csuk9

Reaction score
Regardless of what I've used before, I always call or check with the paint manufacture when I change products even if I used it before. You never know if they changed the formulas. i found theres nothing worse then spending a 100 hours or so prepping and having to start over!

Sorry for the brevity... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Looks like it's coming along nicely Collin. Still hoping the see it somethime this year. The cruise season at Burger King has started, hope you can find some time to come up and visit!

Jim S.

Reaction score
Once you are done with the bodywork, then next step is to seal it with thinned epoxy before final paint. You can even tint the epoxy if you are using DBC as the final paint. Like everyone said the PPG guys can answer all your questions. You can also go the their website and look up the tech info on the type of paint you are going to use.
http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinisheur ... Home2.aspx

Collin

Reaction score
Thanks ill give them a call tomorrow.

Steve, jambs are done in a few weeks then final sand and the big paint job. Then $ and time will stand between me and driving to some shows. Ill see how far I can get this year, my father and I hope to be out on the road!

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck I always use the ppg paints but I've had mixed results with the basecoats and granted I'm an amateur. I found the bases to be very transparent and it takes many coats to get the color to build up to where it needs to be so you might want to have a refernce part to compare to as you are basing so you know when to stop. It could take five to ten coats to get it where you want it. my convertible was kind of a mess, if I had to do over I would have single staged it with a color mapped non-metallic color as close as I can get, wet sand it down then do two or three colors of base walking from one end of the car to the other and then clearing it. don't even ask about how the vitamin C orange from the eighties doesn't match to the new stuff, the eighties one is still much brighter they revised the formulas or what I had originally mixed was wrong. bottom line that color will keep changing with each coat so make sure you buy twice of what you think you need.

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
Good luck I always use the ppg paints but I've had mixed results with the basecoats and granted I'm an amateur. I found the bases to be very transparent and it takes many coats to get the color to build up to where it needs to be so you might want to have a refernce part to compare to as you are basing so you know when to stop. It could take five to ten coats to get it where you want it. my convertible was kind of a mess, if I had to do over I would have single staged it with a color mapped non-metallic color as close as I can get, wet sand it down then do two or three colors of base walking from one end of the car to the other and then clearing it. don't even ask about how the vitamin C orange from the eighties doesn't match to the new stuff, the eighties one is still much brighter they revised the formulas or what I had originally mixed was wrong. bottom line that color will keep changing with each coat so make sure you buy twice of what you think you need.
took more paint to cover for mine and I used PPG

Jim S.

Reaction score
generaljmwlee said:
3BIRDS1X said:
took more paint to cover for mine and I used PPG

That's very true, and PPGs cheap line "Omni" is even worse.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
omni is what I was using, like I say the biggest mystery is knowing to keep going or when to stop.

Collin

Reaction score
Just finished spraying the final high build primer today. Finally down to wet sanding the trunk, jambs, engine bay and window channels...seam sealing then paint.

Back