• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on painting engine.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I'm cleaning up the engine compartment on my Runner. I'll be removing everything from the engine to either repaint it, or remove paint from where it shouldn't be. I'm not pulling the engine to paint it but once I get it all cleaned up should I use a high temp primer on it or can I get by with just doing the base coat? I'm using a rattle can to do this. I know it won't be perfect but it's a driver and I just want to make it more presentable. Thanks.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
whatever the rattle can high temp engine paint says on the directions will work fine.....did some motors in the past and worked great.....just make sure all the oily greasy crap is gone

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've never primered when painting an engine

Jim S.

Reaction score
I did something similar although I had the intake, valley pan, valve covers, and exhaust manifold off at the time. Had some bad peeling areas of paint on the block. I sanded and feathered those areas, scuffed up what I could get to and cleaned and cleaned it. I used por-15 hemi orange engine enamel in my touch up gun protecting everything from overspray. Thinned it with Xylene from the hardware store. No primer. A guy could buy one of those prevail sprayers. I don't know if you want to go through all that. Just throwing another idea out there.

sam z

Reaction score
Yeah, and that por 15 engine paint is pretty durable stuff too. I had another car that I used the Mopar engine enamel. The Por 15 is far more resistant to use / abuse / oil / heat / crap then the enamel was.

roadrunner69

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Basketcase said:
I've never primered when painting an engine
X2

X3. Just make sure it is clean and the peeling paint is removed. I am doing the same thing now. Everything is removed except
the heads. Took the 509 cam out and installed a stock cam so figured now is the time to do some detailing.

moparchris

Reaction score
No primer here. I use the VHT high temp for base coat and finish it with Mopar hemi orange to get the right tint.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparchris said:
No primer here. I use the VHT high temp for base coat and finish it with Mopar hemi orange to get the right tint.

I don't think I've seen this VHT paint that's been mentioned. Would most parts stores carry this or a specialty paint store have it? What I planned on using is the old Mopar Performance engine enamel. Thanks guys.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Plasti Kote, Mopar and Totally Auto have the correct shade in hemi orange

A31PKG

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

I used the Totally Auto stuff...it's been about 3 yrs & holding up nicely...no primer. Took about 3 cans.

ENGINE (5).JPG

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
69hemibeep said:

I used the Totally Auto stuff...it's been about 3 yrs & holding up nicely...no primer. Took about 3 cans.
Me to, a little more out of pocket but I liked it :thumbsup:

mcmopar

Reaction score
POR-15 Engine Enamel here. No primer. Spray on or brush. Just make sure the surface is painfully clean and bone dry. POR stands up to any carb spray and just about anything else but DOT 3 brake fluid in my unofficial tests.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Another question, should the kickdown and throttle linkage be black or a natural color?

Back