• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear end lengths

72duster

Reaction score
i am trying to find out what length a 65-67 8.75 rear end is (flange to flange) i was told 68-70 is 55.I was told 65-67 is smaller. i am trying to fit more wheel and tire under wheel well with out tubing.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Same width for 62-70 (59.2") . A-Body is narrower (55.6"), but you have to deal with the narrower brake drum width. The flange to housing dimension is 1/2" (I think) smaller then the B-body rear.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Wait.... I'm assuming we're talking about a rear for a B-body...

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
Same width for 62-70 (59.2") . A-Body is narrower (55.6"), but you have to deal with the narrower brake drum width. The flange to housing dimension is 1/2" (I think) smaller then the B-body rear.

If you use the A-Body housing you just convert to aftermarket 4.5" BC axles (Yukons for instance if it isn't a serious drag car). Then run the B-Body brakes, backing plates and all. No one will want to run the 4" BC on a B-Body anyway, if that is in fact what we're dealing with...

72duster

Reaction score
sorry this will be for a b body so 62-70 are the same width?

moparchris

Reaction score
I beg to differ. There is a lot of misinfo out there. 62 -65 B body are narrower than 68-70.

62-63. 53 1/4 flange to flange
64. 55 5/8
65-67. 54 1/4
68-70. 54 15/16

I believe the 64 max wedge cars were different as well but I dont know for sure since I have never seen one. I heard they are 53 1/4 flange to flange. So it boils down to 65-67 being almost 3/4 an inch narrower. Pre 65 8 3/4s use the axle flange nuts and you cant swap in later axles, well I guess you might but you would need to run a spool and green bearings.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have to defer to Chris or someone with hands on experience on this...I've never had a early B so I have NO practical experience...

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I'll have to defer to Chris or someone with hands on experience on this...I've never had a early B so I have NO practical experience...

Funny thing is up until recently I thought all 62-70 B body rear were the same length. I had to do some research to get to the bottom of it. I was going to cut down a c-body rear for my neighbor who has early B's and I found that the rear ends I had for late 68-70 were a different length.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Pre 65 8 3/4s use the axle flange nuts and you cant swap in later axles, well I guess you might but you would need to run a spool and green bearings.

Chris, I was thinking about this today. Why do you think the conversion to later axles require the use of a spool? I get the dana style bearings to eliminate the end play adjustment (shims in this case based on what I have read previously) but what does this have to do with the carrier? To my point, I run a 741 ('57 to '64 carrier w/ 1-3/8" pinion) SG in my '74 Duster with Yukon axles and green bearings. No spool in there for sure... :popcorn:

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparchris said:
Pre 65 8 3/4s use the axle flange nuts and you cant swap in later axles, well I guess you might but you would need to run a spool and green bearings.

Chris, I was thinking about this today. Why do you think the conversion to later axles require the use of a spool? I get the dana style bearings to eliminate the end play adjustment (shims in this case based on what I have read previously) but what does this have to do with the carrier? To my point, I run a 741 ('57 to '64 carrier w/ 1-3/8" pinion) SG in my '74 Duster with Yukon axles and green bearings. No spool in there for sure... :popcorn:

The reason I said spool was because the later axles will be longer and if you run them in an early b body rear then you will run out of room. I guess you could remove the thrust block and get away with it. I was just thinking out loud and really the point was that you can't mix and match the axles and housings. The third members are totally interchangeable. Sometimes when going to green bearings you have to remove the thrust block in the sure grip so that you can get the axle to seat completely, especially with aftermarket axles since they seem to run long by a 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Back