• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear end options

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
So I've been busy getting the 498 ready to drop into my satty but I've started to get worried about breaking my 8 3/4 rear and wondering about other options. Since the rear still needs rebuilt, a suregrip and gears... I'm looking at more then a grand to have it rolling and started to wonder if I should just sell both my 8 3/4's and 3 centers (489, 742's) I've gathered to put towards something stronger. Just wondering what you guys think? I was tossing the idea of finding a new dana out of a truck and find someone with a jig to shorten it. Then I would have the steeper gears and internals that should hold up for awhile.
I don't know you guys are the experts let me hear it.
~Nick

cj69RR

Reaction score
How much power the new motor going to be putting out? The 8 3/4 is up their on the top of the food chain for being strong rear ends. Must be putting out some serious power to upgrade from the stock8 3/4.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Well according to the dyno 626hp/640tq.. I'm sure the 8 3/4 would be fine on the street but I am afraid of what may happen if it hooks on the track with slicks. If I didn't need two different length driveshafts I would run the 8 3/4 until it broke (if it broke) and then worry about a dana... But after I started doing the math 500 for a suregrip, 200 for new gears another 300-400 for axles... Getting close to a dana.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
So any opions? I just found a dana 60 out of a 64' Savory would that bolt up or be something I'd want?

droptop

Reaction score
Chapdog just shelled out for an S60. Sounds like the way to go to me. I have trashed a couple 8.75 in my day. The housing will flex under a load and strip the ring gear. With those torque numbers, I would at least put some added support on the back of the housing to stop the flex. :cents:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
MuscleCar91 said:
So any opions? I just found a dana 60 out of a 64' Savory would that bolt up or be something I'd want?
Depending on the cost, dimensions and what is in it, Yep.

moparmike

Reaction score
Clutch kit for that 8 3/4 is only 75 bucks from Mopar. Maybe 200 bucks for all the bearings and such. I just rebuilt mine. I've run 8 3/4's for years. Pretty damn tough and lighter than a Dana.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
moparmike said:
Clutch kit for that 8 3/4 is only 75 bucks from Mopar. Maybe 200 bucks for all the bearings and such. I just rebuilt mine. I've run 8 3/4's for years. Pretty damn tough and lighter than a Dana.

That's not for the later cone style though... or is there a way to rebuild those?

I agree about the 8 3/4.

My car from the 70's. 10 1/2" slicks with a 440 and 8 3/4 rear. Always launched like that (although it was a lot faster than the dial in shown)... never broke a rear.

scan9.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
moparmike said:

That's not for the later cone style though... or is there a way to rebuild those?

I agree about the 8 3/4.

My car from the 70's. 10 1/2" slicks with a 440 and 8 3/4 rear. Always launched like that (although it was a lot faster than the dial in shown)... never broke a rear.

scan9.jpg
There is a way to refurbish the cone style. When I get some time I'll scan and post how to do it.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks guys I think ima going to throw the 8 3/4 in it for now and save up for a new Dana over the fall and winter.

chapdog105

Reaction score
MuscleCar91 said:
Thanks guys I think ima going to throw the 8 3/4 in it for now and save up for a new Dana over the fall and winter.

I bought my Strange S60 (Dana) from Summit. You can buy them directly from Strange, but I had a 10% off coupon code with Summit and it saved me almost $300 going that way.
I spent about $2700 for mine, complete with powder coating, snubber, upgraded diff cover, and 11 inch drum brake set-up, delivered.

Like Harold mentioned, the cost isn't bad when you factor what you're getting compared to a used Dana or rebuilding a 8 3/4 with all new items. Plus you can sell the 8 3/4 and put that toward the cost!

I won't know how it works for about a year...but it looks sweet!

20130419_223538_zps49ed89f7.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Stuie it looks like you have competition as a foot model. Chapdog wears Keds and looks like a pretty good size foot :jester:

chapdog105

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
Stuie it looks like you have competition as a foot model. Chapdog wears Keds and looks like a pretty good size foot :jester:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:basketcase: :basketcase: :basketcase: :basketcase: :basketcase:

:rimshot:

Hey, everyone knows Stu's photos exclusively feature dirty white shoes. That's his trademark!

It's hard to hide those size 15's...

jays69bird

Reaction score
Yes the dana is stout,but I had a Chevy buddy years ago that put a 427 into a 68 Camaro he kept blowing up the G.M. rearends,he ended up putting an 83/4 in it. He used to drag it,never had a problem with the rear end after he did that. :cents:

Back