• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear window lower stainless steel moulding

vso737

Reaction score
The rear window stainless steel molding on my '69 Roadrunner has a screw on both ends to keep the stainless strip mounted. Some genius drilled a hole on each corner of the molding to make sure the strip stays mounted.

My question is two part. 1) Can the holes be filled and then polished to make it look new?

2) Is it better to purchase an 'after market' lower stainless piece and will it be as good as the original???

Funny how the small simple things end up causing most of the headaches........................

LG,
Mike

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Not the first time that has been done but I'm not familiar with welding stainless or how well aftermarket trim fits. Good luck.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I have some limited knowledge.
My guess is that unless it is exactly the same kind of stainless it might be a different color.
I also think TIG is the only option for it.
And the person doing the welding should be very good.
Warpage might also be a minor issue.
However, on a positive note, it's a small thing and won't show much.

torredcuda

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my passenger side. I think a good tig welder could weld up the hole and then it could be ground and polished. I have heard the reproduction mouldings don`t fit well so I am hunting for a good used one.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Trim is thin and rough to weld up. Do not think you would be happy with the results. Better off to find new trim. Maybe AMD has it. Know it will not be quite as the same sometimes. But could be happy with it.

WWheeler

Reaction score
New trim is an iffy fit. When restoring my bird, I matched the area around the glass to fit the trim.

Back