• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red brake drums

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I remember that we've talked about the red drums before so I thought I'd ask this question here. Someone has a '68 GTX with magnum wheels and wants to paint the drums red but wants to make sure that is correct. So does anyone know what the first year was for red drums?

Thanks guys.

droptop

Reaction score
If you look in the lower right corner of this document, it has a date of 1/31/69. It is hand written.....

7571674-ababababred.JPG

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
From the looks on my original rear drums it has about a 1-1/2" wide ring all the way around and with a run in it.

To me it looks as if they just slopped the ring of paint on in one motion without stopping till they met/completed the circle.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Your probably going to need a 68 manual to make sure. I would just do it. :yesnod:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
This is kind of funny. I knew that with the knowledgeable guys here that I would get the responses about the drum but all I was asking was if anyone knew what was the first year that the drums were painted. That's all I needed. :lol: But thanks anyways for the other info!!! :thumbsup:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Here is my answer to your question from Mopar Muscle magazine.

Note the red paint on the face of this rear brake drum. A Chrysler Passenger Cars-Procedure and Materials engineering document dated January 31, 1969, states, "Apply a 2-inch Wide Paint Band in Toward Center Per P.S.3840 With 3404653 Enamel (Styled Wheels Only). No Paint Allowed on Wheel Attachment Studs or on Wheel Contact Area of Drum." "Styled" wheels refer to Magnums or to the Rallyes in this vehicle's case. We have seen original cars where the red paint was still wet and dripping when the wheels were installed-evident by the amount of the paint on the wheel. We have so far confirmed this procedure on '69 -'71 model year cars.

Read more: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tips ... z2JqDcK7C1

Roadcuda

Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
Here is my answer to your question from Mopar Muscle magazine.

Note the red paint on the face of this rear brake drum. A Chrysler Passenger Cars-Procedure and Materials engineering document dated January 31, 1969, states, "Apply a 2-inch Wide Paint Band in Toward Center Per P.S.3840 With 3404653 Enamel (Styled Wheels Only). No Paint Allowed on Wheel Attachment Studs or on Wheel Contact Area of Drum." "Styled" wheels refer to Magnums or to the Rallyes in this vehicle's case. We have seen original cars where the red paint was still wet and dripping when the wheels were installed-evident by the amount of the paint on the wheel. We have so far confirmed this procedure on '69 -'71 model year cars.

Read more: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/tips ... z2JqDcK7C1

That last sentence is what I was looking for, thanks!

droptop

Reaction score
I know for a fact that brake drums on b bodies were still being painted red for road wheels in '75, and I think that 1/31/69 date is correct for starting date. :cents:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
red drums are correct for these too.... :D

I don't think those are supposed to be out of your shrine area for more than 45 minutes at a time... Put 'em back and light some more candles...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back