• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remington Arms ?

jays69bird

Reaction score
This is directed more at those of us who live in the Peoples Republic of New York,I heard a rumor today the Remington has been looking at sites around the Nashville area to relocate the Illion factory. Anyone heard ? That would suck,on thing this state can't afford is to lose anymore jobs.:sour:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
http://www.uticaod.com/news/x1367231331/State-Assemblywoman-Remington-Arms-is-committed-to-Ilion

I don't know, it's all rumors again at this point. We've been doing some work for them, checking a lot of their inspection jigs and fixtures and we even bought a CMM to do the work. Since we plunked down the $$ for that, the work suddenly dried up. We're still supposed to see more... but I don't know. If they are going to move, I expect the union guys will pull it all back in house to keep busy.

If this does happen, it will really suck. It won't hurt us too bad, but the money we spent based on promised work has got to come from somewhere else.

jays69bird

Reaction score
It's scary,my company is setting up a new plant in Ohio,we are going to lose some machinery to them.Who knows they might relocate the whole shebang at some future date.

b-star69

Reaction score
i don't know why remington is leaving NY. i do know that magpul is leaving Colorado because of new gun control laws. the prez clams that he creates jobs but the agenda that the DNC has costs jobs.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
My brother in Durango CO had his house broke into a few months ago, and when he alerted the police that his stolen guitars were listed on e-bay they raided the guys place and got most of his stuff back. They are holding his shotgun until the recall election is done and the new laws repealed because they cant legally give it back to him even with proof of ownership. They also made mention that the police were having trouble getting guns under the new laws.

Last edited:

Big John

Reaction score
i don't know why remington is leaving NY. i do know that magpul is leaving Colorado because of new gun control laws. the prez clams that he creates jobs but the agenda that the DNC has costs jobs.

NY has their SAFE act which has brought gun control to new levels here. That's probably not helping keep business in NYS. Just doing business here can be tough though. The skill set for manufacturing is here and some factories that have moved other places discover that the workers there don't have what it takes.

That Remington plant is ancient.... I've been in it a few times and it's bizarre in its contrasts of old and new. Going to a modern facility where the business is welcome and the costs are cheaper.... Can you blame them?

Big John

Reaction score
I was at Remington today and I asked the question about them moving. I was told that while Remington is "always being courted by other states, it's all just rumors". Remington is for sale, make no mistake about that. Cerebus wants out of that business just like when they dumped Chrysler.

Big John

Reaction score
I don't know as they are moving. The reports I read was this was an expansion and not replacing the Illion facility. That doesn't mean much though...

As I said, the Illion plant is ancient and there is a Union. Alabama is more friendly all around to business... and New York isn't.... So, closing the Illion plant in the future wouldn't surprise me.

What I think you won't see is any immediate shutdown. The skill set of the Illion workers will take some time to replace along a lot of relocating of the engineers and skilled trades. Illion will probably spin down to nothing, but I don't expect to see it in the next year or two.

Big John

Reaction score
Back