• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadrunner Convertible 69 - Y2

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
This happened years ago and sounds like an internet joke. I looked at a local ad for a $50 late model Cadillac and took a pass thinking it was a miss print or something until two days later I saw a news story about a man that ran away with his secratary and told his wife to sell the Cadillac and send him half of the money.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Every where you turn their is someone trying to separate you form your money. The internet is a good tool but a few take advantage of it to use it as a bad tool. Even opening up E mails that you don't know like some posing as Micro soft make it hard to know which E mails to trust. So if you look around on the web bet you will find this car some where other than where the sell is stating it is. That is what I did and found the car that was portrayed as for sell and the owner had posted it and what the car went through to be restored. Also how long he had the car. It was not for sell. I found Runners in all kind's of shape mostly in resto. shape. All over the USA. So ask if you can travel to see the car in person and these jokers will and can not produce the car for inspection. :popcorn2:
True that Russ. The seller of my car made all kinds of misrepresentations about the car. It's a True RM27, this much I could verify, but not a matching anything and I was told otherwise. I met the previous owner through Wes, and he was really cool, offered to by the car back. He sold it to a flipper, which is where I got the car. I had already put $1,000's into the car to make it safe, roadworthy, and just as correct as I could get it, so I declined. I know the entire history of the car from discussions with the previous owner, again none of the misrepresentations about it were his doing. It's a solid car now, correct engine, trans and rear, pretty much to the fender tag except for the N96 I added. If I had to do it all over again, I would put eyeballs on the car, not just go by photo's and someone's word.

RonLiv

Reaction score
This happened years ago and sounds like an internet joke. I looked at a local ad for a $50 late model Cadillac and took a pass thinking it was a miss print or something until two days later I saw a news story about a man that ran away with his secratary and told his wife to sell the Cadillac and send him half of the money.
Yah, but this is a scam. I met some people in Carlisle, known Roadrunner addicts who know every car out there for sale. He told me to run, not walk, away from this one. Overseas owner, the car in the add says it's in Savannah, which I'll be headed to SC via the Savannah airport here shortly so I was going to go look. He changes the location to Seattle of all places once he knows I want to see it, and says the seller is some UK based import company who has a warehouse there. He wants the money up front, $29,300 and he'll pay the cost to ship it to Philadelphia. Once in my care, I have three days to return the car if not what he sais. I may have been born and night, but it wasn't last night. Maybe I'll give that guy who keeps calling me about back taxes I owe my credit card number the next time too. :monkeyleft:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Ronliv it is a waste of time. Have a friend an ex cop. was going to buy a motor home and the guy gave him an address. My friend wanted him to meet him at a more well known place but the guy keep insisting he should come to the address. So if you go their and you have the money on you then they will rob you. It is an old scheme. This UK thing is what I was talking about. Every excuse under the sun why you can't see the car because they don't have it. They steal pictures off the inter web then post them for sale. Don't give these guy's any info and would be aware of communication due to virus attached to them. Ok Your friend Russ.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Ronliv it is a waste of time. Have a friend an ex cop. was going to buy a motor home and the guy gave him an address. My friend wanted him to meet him at a more well known place but the guy keep insisting he should come to the address. So if you go their and you have the money on you then they will rob you. It is an old scheme. This UK thing is what I was talking about. Every excuse under the sun why you can't see the car because they don't have it. They steal pictures off the inter web then post them for sale. Don't give these guy's any info and would be aware of communication due to virus attached to them. Ok Your friend Russ.
If he did give up an address, I'd bring "friends"

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Ok. I brought some friend's to a rumble and when it started they all but half took off. I don't like dodging bullet's. Good luck follow the yellow brick road. :beep:

Never2

Reaction score
This is a known scam run by a bunch of named Russian defendants that the FBI is currently pursuing. I encountered the scam earlier last year on a different car and have forwarded my email exchange to the FBI.

Just in case you think I'm making this up here are the top sections from the update I received from the FBI:

usaologo_html.jpg

August 21, 2018

U.S. Department of Justice
Southern District of New York
One St. Andrews Plaza
New York, NY 10007
Phone: (212) 637-1028
Fax: (212) 637-0421

Subject: United States v. Defendant(s) Mikheil Inadze, Ketevan Sepiashvili, Karlis Vitols, Kirill Dedusev, Sarkhan Imamverdiyev, Mikhail Morozov, Elvin Baghir-Pur, Melvut Yazici, Ielyzaveta Nazina, Elvin Javadzade, Matiss Puke, Aleksei Livadnyi, Mishel Levinski, Aziza Jalolova, Igor Kalinitchev, Roman Eliozashvili, Durra Mehdiyeva, Igor Stasovskiy, Diyora Ashirova, Gocha Paposhvili, Tengiz Khukhiashvili, Yelena Kudaibergenova, Stanislav Lisitskiy, Aleksandr Starikov, Nikolay Tupikin
Case Number 2018R01031 and Court Docket Number 18-CR-00509

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sound's like the Russian investigation. I also reported the three scam's that I encountered while looking for a runner to buy. Their is also a group in the UK doing the same thing. They know who they are but can't find them. Imagine that. So if it is to good to be true then I probably is a scam. Also if you can't see the car in person and talk to the seller then something is WRONG. :kartman: Those darn Ruskey's and we thought the cold war was over !!!!!!!!!!

RonLiv

Reaction score
Sound's like the Russian investigation. I also reported the three scam's that I encountered while looking for a runner to buy. Their is also a group in the UK doing the same thing. They know who they are but can't find them. Imagine that. So if it is to good to be true then I probably is a scam. Also if you can't see the car in person and talk to the seller then something is WRONG. :kartman: Those darn Ruskey's and we thought the cold war was over !!!!!!!!!!
Pretty sure these guys are the UK guys. The Company "handling the sale" is a UK company, at least via their shaking looking web site.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
As a general rule for any 2nd hand product, never hand over any money unless you physically see the product first. I got duped into sending money for some concert tickets a while back from an interstate seller who was "unable to make the show". It was'nt $30 000 , but it was still enough to make my blood boil.
As a second rule, as soon as the quality of the ad ie syntax, spelling etc isn't up to scratch, its 99.9% a scam. If your spelling isn't too good and you can't tell, just look at all the other ads you've ever seen for mopars. We all know how car guys and especially mopar guys in particular talk.

I'm sure that most of the guys on this forum could describe that car to you in 2 lines or less, with just as much info as that ad.

Steer clear mate.

RonLiv

Reaction score
As a general rule for any 2nd hand product, never hand over any money unless you physically see the product first. I got duped into sending money for some concert tickets a while back from an interstate seller who was "unable to make the show". It was'nt $30 000 , but it was still enough to make my blood boil.
As a second rule, as soon as the quality of the ad ie syntax, spelling etc isn't up to scratch, its 99.9% a scam. If your spelling isn't too good and you can't tell, just look at all the other ads you've ever seen for mopars. We all know how car guys and especially mopar guys in particular talk.

I'm sure that most of the guys on this forum could describe that car to you in 2 lines or less, with just as much info as that ad.

Steer clear mate.
Sound Advice. I learned this lesson the hard way. I bought a "restored, matching numbers car" turns out it was a mess and nothing matched. But at least I did receive the car.

Sixtynine_Bird

Reaction score
Sound Advice. I learned this lesson the hard way. I bought a "restored, matching numbers car" turns out it was a mess and nothing matched. But at least I did receive the car.

Exactly the same for me supposed to be restored matching numbers car trophy winners! The only trophy she could have earn would have been "the best bondo car ever"
Like you said at least we received it! But now it's been 3 years of hard working on the car and it isn't finished yet lol! It is really hard sometimes we only want to enjoy the car! --'

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Even if it is on craigslist dose not mean that it is the owner of the car. So watch you self. These kind of add where every where when I was looking. From one site to another the same add came up. If they want you to send money to a broker or financial company not based in the US don't waste your time or money. I know one person who is a body shop man who bought a car and they had refurbished the car totally. The car was impounded by the law. They lost money and the car. It was bad vin number and a bad title. In short all the paper work was wrong. These guy's are good at what they do and they have plenty of time to do these types of crimes. Being over seas you can't touch them.

RonLiv

Reaction score
I have seen this car in person, and in my opinion, it is priced relatively close to it's value.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-roadrunner-conv/6686469035.html
Not the same car dude. The car in the add I was referring to had buckets and a console and was console shifter. The one you are showing is a bench seat auto column shift. Plus the pictures of the one you have shows surface rust in the trunk, the one I saw was clean as a whistle. Different car.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Not the same car dude. The car in the add I was referring to had buckets and a console and was console shifter. The one you are showing is a bench seat auto column shift. Plus the pictures of the one you have shows surface rust in the trunk, the one I saw was clean as a whistle. Different car.
Plus the asking price in the Craiglist add is $43,500, my add was $29,300. Not the same car.

RonLiv

Reaction score
The car I was looking at is also a stripe delete car, this one had the black stripesundefined-1530003010-21-e[2].jpg 01616_n6rjuDVTO5_1200x900[1].jpg

Back