• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadrunner/gtx difference

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
I know this is kinda a rookie question but whats the difference between a roadrunner and a gtx I know the gtx is a higher up model of the roadrunner but how so?
Thanks

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
GTX got you fancier interior, woodgrain dash I do believe. more chrome trim on the outside, rockers, wheel moldings.And you got the 440 4 barrel if you wanted, road runner was 383 or Hemi, except for the '69 1/2 440 6 barrel and the 440 6 barrel for '70.after '70 the GTX was moved to largely a tag onto the road runner.

droptop

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that little jewel Bob. Did anyone noticed the red (or orange) air grabber box? Do you think that was done for photography reasons? In that one shot, the underside of the hood was painted black also.

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
I guess we're talking 69's? The GTX comes standard with street Hemi leaf springs and Hemi torsion bars. Manual trans is a Hemi 18 spline 4 speed vs 23 spline for a 383. It's only available in a hardtop with bucket seats. The dash and door panels have woodgrain trim. The grill, headlight bezels and taillight bezels are different and no trunk finish panel is available on a RoadRunner. The GTX has wheel lip mouldings and longitudinal trim along the side body accent line. No wheel lip or side mouldings available on the Roadrunner. The 440 carburetor is bigger than the 383. The 383 automatic has a different size torque converter...

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I guess we're talking 69's? The GTX comes standard with street Hemi leaf springs and Hemi torsion bars. Manual trans is a Hemi 18 spline 4 speed vs 23 spline for a 383. It's only available in a hardtop with bucket seats. The dash and door panels have woodgrain trim. The grill, headlight bezels and taillight bezels are different and no trunk finish panel is available on a RoadRunner. The GTX has wheel lip mouldings and longitudinal trim along the side body accent line. No wheel lip or side mouldings available on the Roadrunner. The 440 carburetor is bigger than the 383. The 383 automatic has a different size torque converter...
Yeah this started as a 69 runner site and some of us old timers forget it was expanded to all years LOL

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
First thing I look for is a Roadrunner or GTX emblem.... and then I go from there....

BL1 70 roadrunner

Reaction score
What are the vin tags numbers on them? By that I mean like roadrunner hardtop is RM23 post top is RM21 what are gtx's?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
RS23 for the hardtops and RS27 for the convertible.

No fixed window coupes.

bobtile

Reaction score
you sold/are selling yours, so keep outta this....:acme::acme::jester::jester:

I'm not trying real hard if you noticed.
The reason I should keep out of this is because a) It's a 68 and b) It's a GTX.
But you guys let me join... :)

RS23 on the vin.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
a glaring mistake on our part.....take your BLUE '68 and vacate the premises!!:jester:

having a change of heart on selling the GTX? Hope sire, sure looks like a badass Plymouth!!

bobtile

Reaction score
I never really wanted to sell it. I'm possibly going to be moving and taking it with me wouldn't be realistic. Hopefully things change and I can keep it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
since when does old cars mean realistic? we all gotta be nuts to be messing with these damn things! glad you're keeping it.

Back