• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

roller rockers

Larry Chilese

Reaction score
building a 383. reasonably mild engine-has anyone tried a roller rocker and are they worth the money?
I have heard you must measure your push rod length to assure proper fit, but I'll have to find out how to do that.
Mu 690 heads came with standard rockers and pushrds which I can put back after the block back from the machine shop.
Should I even bother with the roller rockets of go back to stock.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
My motor builder went with stock rod's and rocker's. All new. We hashed it out and that is what I wanted. Spend money on the crank bearing's and making the crank right. Get as close to the old purple cam as you can. Tried and true. New valves and seat's. Still kind of up in the air on the half dome piston's. Could not find the flat top and the ones with a set wrist pin. So that is why we got the half dome. 9.8 to 1 compression. Still braking it in and will not know the full potential till I have 500 miles on it. Then will open her up. Good luck Keep it simple. Don't you mean 906 head's.

Larry Chilese

Reaction score
Yes I did mean 906 heads, and thanks for the advice. Did you find any shim below your rocker rods?
Oh yes I am having the same dilemma with pistons.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have Hughes 1.6 roller rockers on my A12. Unless you are going racing and need to squeeze every last ounce of HP out of this thing, they probably are not worth the extra drain on your pocketbook... JMHO.

If you do go the roller rocker route you'll likely need to get pushrods made. Hughes (and others) can provide you with a pushrod length checking tool and instructions on how to correctly measure them. You'll definitely need different pushrods as roller rockers require a ball and cup pushrod, not a ball and ball.

MoparDan

Reaction score
building a 383. reasonably mild engine-has anyone tried a roller rocker and are they worth the money?
I have heard you must measure your push rod length to assure proper fit, but I'll have to find out how to do that.
Mu 690 heads came with standard rockers and pushrds which I can put back after the block back from the machine shop.
Should I even bother with the roller rockets of go back to stock.
IMHO if you are building a mild engine it would be difficult to justify the added expense of roller rockers. but if you must, you can get an adjustable checking pushrod from 440 Source. They're about $25.00

ykf7b0

Reaction score
The juice isn't worth the squeeze. If it were my engine I wouldn't spend the money on them unless I had a roller cam set up.

ricks_RR

Reaction score
roller cam and rollers are the way to go . my friend built his a few years ago and he beats this motor hard and it runs very strong . worth the money

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
If only a hyd cam and just a cruiser, no need for roller rockers. I have a little ole Comp XE294 519/524 cam in my Charger with stock rockers (probably max'n them out, I know) and I have over 55,000 on this engine so far.

Back