• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RRDon Intro

RRDon

Reaction score
Purchased new 70 Road Runner in June of 1970. I was 19 at that time (yeah I know I'm old now, no need to do the math ;)).
RM21NOE132917 (does anyone know whereabouts of this car?). Lime Green Metallic, 383 four speed. Fond memories cruising Central Ave in Phoenix looking for 396 Chevelles to pick off. ;)
Fast forward to 1994, bought another 70 Road Runner, 383 auto, yellow (driver but ran good). Wanted 4 speed so found another 70. This one had air grabber and pistol grip 4 speed. A 383 non-numbers car which I converted over to 440+6 and eventually raced it in the Pony Express 100 open road race in Nevada in 1998 (side bar: the race was held on the same Hwy our of Austin, NV where they filmed much of Vanishing Point). Also raced it in the Bonneville 100 out of Wendover, NV in 2002 (took 1st place win in 105 class) top recorded speed was 151.6 mph. Embarrassed a lot of newer cars who couldn't compete with an old Mopar muscle car ;)). It's featured in Robert Genat's book "Six-Pack Mopa

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like we cruised Central at about the same period.

RRDon

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome 69Hemi and Sixtynine_bird. 69Hemi, what were you driving back then? This would have been from June 1970 thru about spring of 73.
Are you going to the Mopar show at GCC on the 19th?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Welcome aboard from the sunshine state Fl. Sound's like good time's Oh those where the day's. But many more ahead.:wave:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome 69Hemi and Sixtynine_bird. 69Hemi, what were you driving back then? This would have been from June 1970 thru about spring of 73.
Are you going to the Mopar show at GCC on the 19th?

I had a 61 valiant that I had butchered and put a small block into blue of coarse. Being on the east side of town we went to Main street in Mesa more than Central but I left the state in the summer of 71 to Wyoming for awhile. HEMI show at GCC I'm not sure if I'm taking a car yet but I will have the runner out in Sun City West at a show this Saturday. You almost sound as if you are a snow bird knowing about a local show here.

RRDon

Reaction score
Thank you Danomt and Coyote for the warm welcome.
I'm up in the Southwest corner of Utah, near St George. I have mopar friends in Az and elsewhere around the southwest.

RRDon

Reaction score
Yep ;) After a long career in Aerospace, I had to escape the "People's Republic of Taxifornia" and find a peaceful uncrowded place to retire ;) Lots of car guys up here too.

Back