• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rubber mat

69bfan

Reaction score
ACC makes the rubber/vinyl floor covering for all of the old cars. They actually are able to use the same molds that they use to mold the carpet sets with to mold the rubber/vinyl covering. Our ACC rep and the ACC VP of sales are all Mopar guys. The ACC VP actually worked with Jim Kramer to develop the early mats. In talking to them, he suggested using a heat gun to actually warm the mat to make it more pliable. Once it was in the desired location, he would take and use a wet towel that is placed inside a bucket of ice water. This basically helps to suspend the mat in the desired position.

The ACC mat is a viable alternative for those guys looking to restore a car which was equipped with that floor covering. The original mats had a speckled coloring to them and a bit more texture to them, but most people have no ideal on those types of details in looking at the ACC mat.

1968 man

Reaction score
Thanks for the inside tips, need all the help I can get , like I said earlier the new stuff is very stiff so I’m going to wait until the weather gets warmer before I install. Didn’t think about the cold towel but that makes sense.Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Any help is always appreciated. A little tip can go a long way's. I was wondering if in the plant they had a hot plate or something like that to put the mat on before installing it into the car. To make it more flex able. Wonder how much time the installer had to put it in. Being on the line had to have something to speed up the install process.

Big Mo

Reaction score
Did yours come with carpet or the mat. I prefer the carpet myself. The mat draws condensation which causes Russ whoops rust. Lol
You are correct. In my 94 Ranger the mat holds moisture and now I have a rust hole on the driver side to repair. Big Mo.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So we agree that the rubber mat hold's moisture under it. Metal sweat's when goes from hot to cold form the moisture in the air. I always thought the jute pad might contribute to holding moisture also. It dose not breath like the carpet dose. So just a few thought's on that. Of course I put the X mat in and don't know what that might do either. Do believe I wont be around when this car need 's a new floor. LOL !!!!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
You did not see the X mat I installed in the car. Got it from East Wood. Heat and sound deadener. Also put it on the roof instead of the original insulation. IMG_0102 (5).JPG IMG_0103 (2).JPG

69bfan

Reaction score
I would have to assume that back in the day when these cars were going down the assembly line, the carpet or mats were shipped to the assembly plants on basically a mocked up floor pan. Imagine a bare floor pan with 50 carpet sets all laid on top of each other fresh out of the mold. They were never folded and crammed into a box for residential shipping purposes. Thus the ability to remove the carpet set from the jig and place onto the floor pan with minimum work.

ECS will sell you a flat carpet set. This carpet is molded at the ACC plant like all of the other carpet sets that various vendors sell. They then place it onto a custom jig that ECS ships back and forth between their location and the ACC location. ACC molds the carpet, lays on the various floor pan jigs depending upon application and ships it back to ECS. ECS then puts it into a huge flat box so that it is never folded and ships it off to the receiver. Everyone who has went this route praises how well the carpet conforms to the installation, but it does come at a hefty price. That is the reason that I stress ordering carpet when your ready to install and remove from the box as soon as it arrives.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is sound advice. Did not think about that it was molded carpet used on the line. Imagine the same would go for the rubber liner floor covering also. That would make things move faster for sure.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Like I said, that ACC vinyl is great stuff but it is lots heavier and stiffer than anything I've seen originally in the cars. Either the poverty look rubber or A body faux carpet vinyl from the 70s.
Yes, heating it helps. Heat gun cold towel if necessary.
I seriously doubt they had the same trouble with factory rubber.
I would not worry about moisture if your floor is painted and you use a buytl backed sound deadening mat under the vinyl. That will stick and seal.
Don't need the high dollar stuff.
Try Kilmat.
The other thing is about preventing water from getting under it in the first place.
Your gas peddle base . If you cut very carefully you can use black PL 30 polyurethane sealant and actually make your base "one" with the flooring. This will keep any spilled water from getting past that low area.
Cut your door plate area good.
No water no worries.

Last edited:

1968 man

Reaction score
Hi Rapid Transit you sound like you’ve tackled this rubber mat before, if it’s ok I would like to get your opinion on the door seal area, do I overlap the raised area or cut behind it ? This mat is not as forgiving as carpet. It’s a friends car and I want it to be perfect

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
There are some tricky areas.
Let me look for some pics this afternoon.
And try and remember.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Here is a picture what NOT to do.
Look around on the net for pictures and see that the carpet normally come ups and covers behind the gas peddle.
If you stand on the passengers side you should not be able to see the firewall under the dash like in this picture.
It was my bad.
I cut too much and ACC was nice enough to sell me another front section at 50 percent off for a redo.
Don't think I have any pictures of that, but best idea is to slit the vinyl and get it behind the peddle and then nibble it off where you need to so it covers the firewall.
Tin snips work good.
Note that I've got it in place with bolts while I worked on it.
And the 4 speed hole too.
Work from the center areas out.
As far as the door sill plates, it's hard to give any rules, but make it come up and over and captured under the plate like the carpet would be.
You probably will need a heat gun to form it better up and over and the "lip" at the top.
That way no water should get under it.
Remember these cars are not like new cars and sealed up good around the windows.
Garden hose pressure when washing on the side washing it will cause some leakage.
Best to spray and not hard stream the water around the side glass
Again if you are careful you can seal the peddle base to the flooring with PL30 and it will never get water under it from a spill or leak.
Tape that for a neat joint when applying the sealant.
I think it was all well worth the extra effort.
It's not rocket surgery but it is more work.

ACC.jpg .
(The first back section they sent also had an area that seemed out of texture right on the tunnel hump, which they replaced no cost. Maybe too much heat when forming at the plant. IDK.)

Last edited:

1968 man

Reaction score
Thanks Rapid Transit I think I can get it I just want to make sure its done correct. I was able to put the car out in the sun today as I worked on the plastic trim around the back glass area and the mat got a lot softer as the car heated up. I put carpet in my 68 and it was a breeze compared to the mat.Hot weather is going to be my friend along with a heat gun. Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Boy I think I will pass on that type of floor covering. Carpet sound like and easy way to go. Good luck 1968 man. :beep:

Back