Running a little warm...Radiator Re core?

Engine & Related

1. Jazzhorns

Jazzhorns 69 Bahama Yellow-Air Grabber-4 Spd

Feb 8, 2017
    Hi Guys,

I have a 69 RR with a 383. Once the outside temps reach 80 degrees or so the car starts running on the warm side. I've not gotten into any lengthy traffic stops or long lines waiting to get into a show, but my gut tells me that she'll over heat.

Running temp right now is 190 -195 degrees....she immediately gets up over 200 to 205 when in bumper to bumper traffic.

I'm planning on having the radiator recored. Anyone here had that done? Could you tell a significant difference?

Just curious. Thanks...

2. quikbird

quikbird Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    might just need flushed. how about a fan shroud? have you checked thermostat lately to make sure it is working properly?

3. dmartin

dmartin Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    May be the trusty old clutch fan, do you have a three row radiator are your hoses collapsing

4. dppayton

dppayton Member

May 19, 2018
    I had the same problem going on for my 68RR. So I drained it down and flushed out the radiator. He was pretty dirty in there. Pulled and ordered both upper and lower hoses since I have the system down. And pulled the thermostat housing and found it pretty nasty and sticking. Ordered a fan shroud for it from classic industries. Fixing to put it all back together tomorrow. Here is a pic once I pulled the thermostat housing.

20180701_201111.jpg

5. Ranger

Ranger Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2014
    That car looks familiar. Is that you Dave?

If so, I should know the car well enough, but..........
    What thermostat are you runnig?
    Can't recall if you have a fan shroud or not.
    Those two things made all the difference in the world on mine. I went from a factory recommended 190 to a 180 and added a fan shroud from Mega Parts (pricey, but worth every penny). Without a fan shroud, you're just not pulling any air through that radiator at a stand still. I got as high as 230 in the line at the power tour at Madison. When I got home I changed the stat, ordered and added the shroud and she's been happy ever since and never goes over 190-195 even in the worst of conditions like the 2017 Powertour traffic through Davenport in 95° temps.

6. dppayton

dppayton Member

May 19, 2018
    Does anyone know what torque lb. Should be for the thermostat housing bolts?

7. Ranger

Ranger Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2014
    I checked, but couldn't find any torque spec's in my '69 service manual, but that's probably because it's not that critical. I just tighten 'em down to German spec's..........gutentite.

8. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Did you check your old thermostat in boiling water to see if it opened up at the rite temp. But sometimes it is better to replace the old one to be sure. Had a 360 motor in a truck it kept running hot. Had gotten a radiator cap from the local part's store. Got with the truck dealer ship part's and they sold me the rite pressure cap. This solved the over heating problem. Something that simple can make all difference in the world. Like the wrong pressure cap. Good luck hope you get her figured out. Russ.

9. mac

mac Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2008
    basics, clean newer coolant mixed in the proper ratio. clean radiator (no scale). known working thermostat (185 degree). good clutch fan and a fan shroud. also is your mixture and timing where it needs to be? lean mixture and retarded timing will raise temps. i have a 500 inch stroker and run the original 22 inch rad with no problems and we just got through a little heat wave with mid 90's and high humidity.

10. Jazzhorns

Feb 8, 2017

11. Jazzhorns

Feb 8, 2017
    Yes sir, its me. Thermostat and water pump are less than a year old and have very few miles on them the way I drive. Just had the radiator flushed...shop said the flow was great, no need for re core....put it back together today still running hot. Weird...il figure it out...its just aggravating.