• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running a little warm...Radiator Re core?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Same issue, 383 runs a little warm. New radiator, hoses and stat. Fan shroud is the remedy? Pulled the stat out today to check if that will work a little better.
You need some restriction going on or the fluid will not have a chance to cool. Here in Fla. we pull the gut's out and put it back in. That way the hole is the rite size.

RonLiv

Reaction score
I'm reading this thread with interest, as I have a similar issue. I don't have a temperature gauge other than the stock one, so I don't know specifically what temperature it is running at. I tend to resist things that weren't available as stock to the car, but may get one. But since most here have the same dash gauge, it seems to run best at about 1/4 of the way over. Like Jazzhorns, when it gets into the 80's, like this past Sunday the needle presses over to the middle of the gauge or higher sometimes especially if I'm sitting in traffic. It's never full blown overheated. Went over to the garage last night, left something in the car I needed, and there was a decent size puddle of water on the garage floor. I have the stock 22" radiator and I don't know if it has been re-cored or not, but I believe so. I'm running the stock 190 thermostat. Just water and a bit of inhibitor. I have a fan shroud with a 8-blade fan. The guy I go to for the difficult stuff and knows his stuff when it comes to Mopar's, told me that I could add a core to this radiator without putting the bigger 26" one in which wouldn't fit anyway without making additional modifications. I may try the 180 Thermostat idea. It gets a little hot in South Eastern PA in the summer, but I know some of you guys deal with way more heat than I do. So I'm curious as to how you keep your birds cool. Cool meaning the literal definition of the word referring to temperature, not how it looks.

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
I had a similar problem when I first bought my bird. I added a shroud (22" radiator) and replaced the 190° with a 180° stat and problem solved. Since you already have a shroud, I'd bet going to a 180° stat will do it for you.

RonLiv

Reaction score
I had a similar problem when I first bought my bird. I added a shroud (22" radiator) and replaced the 190° with a 180° stat and problem solved. Since you already have a shroud, I'd bet going to a 180° stat will do it for you.
Easy enough to try anyway before getting all crazy and pulling out the radiator.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Middle of the gauge is normal if its accurate. Hot is near and beyond the right hash mark. Remember the stat regulates the minimum temp.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Middle of the gauge is normal if its accurate. Hot is near and beyond the right hash mark
It's been 3/4 of the way over on the gauge, but that's about it. Get's there only when sitting and its really hot, but as soon as I start moving it goes back. I was just concerned about the pool of water on the floor. It obviously boiled over when I shut it down.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Middle of the gauge is normal if its accurate. Hot is near and beyond the right hash mark. Remember the stat regulates the minimum temp.
Good point about the thermostat, opening at 180 instead of 190 when the car is probably over 200 shouldn't make much difference. It's still open.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The coolant will find its own level, if you top it off it will puke it out until it gets there.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Might also want to get the proper Radiator Cap with the rite pressure. Had a motor that would get hot don't remember where I got the cap but it was a piece of junk. Got a good one from NAPA with the rite pressure for the motor. No more boil over. I am with the guy's on the 180 degree thermostat. We use to pull them out and through them away in Fla. But found out you need restriction to slow the water down so it dose have time to cool. :thumbsup2:

Back