• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saying 'Hi' from NYC but also have a question.

Reaction score
What's going on, everybody? Just joined the site. I am a big fan of muscle cars in general. Among my other vehicles I currently own a 1968 Dodge Charger. That is actually my first and only Mopar.

I am currently looking to purchase a 1968-1969 Roadrunner and I need some help. From what I have read the Roadrunners are based off the Belvederes and Satellites. What should I be looking for in the VIN Numbers and the Fender Tags when I go look at potential buys? I know I read somewhere that the Roadrunner VIN Numbers begin with RM21 or RM23.

I was just wondering if you guys can give me other pointers in what to look out for so I can make sure I make the right choice. Thanks. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome A.M.!

RM21 are the post (Belvedere-based) models and RM23 are the hardtops (Satellite-based) models. RM27 would be the droptops.

What to buy depends on what you like and what your budget is. Kind of an open-ended discussion...you probably need to give us some more input in order to better assist you... But ANY Road Runner is a GOOD Road Runner...

Stay away from the ones with F8 paint codes...there was a recall 40 years ago and they're still tryin' to round all of those up... :lmao: (just kidding...!)

:jester:
ACME

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Welcome A.M.!

RM21 are the post (Belvedere-based) models and RM23 are the hardtops (Satellite-based) models. RM27 would be the droptops.

What to buy depends on what you like and what your budget is. Kind of an open-ended discussion...you probably need to give us some more input in order to better assist you... But ANY Road Runner is a GOOD Road Runner...

Stay away from the ones with F8 paint codes...there was a recall 40 years ago and they're still tryin' to round all of those up... :lmao: (just kidding...!)

ACME
welcome AM the best roadrunners have R-4 for the paint code because we all know red is the best .

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Welcome :cheers: And pretty much what Acme said. Are you after a driver, a numbers match trailer queen, a stick or auto on and on?

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Welcome A.M.!

ACME

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...
F8 is GRRRRRREAT!
Welcome to the site A.M.

Reaction score
Gosh! I never expected to get so many replies this fast! Thanks!

Ok, here are some things I'm looking for in my Roadrunner.... I can spend about 20K-25K but I'll be happier if I can find one for less that is about about 90% restored. I'm not too particular about numbers matching but it's gotta be a RR. I don't want a clone or a tribute or anything like that. I'd prefer a 383 engine and pretty much the least options available. I'd like a column shifter and bench front seats. I'm not looking for much opions because I want a car that is exactly what Plymouth envisioned: a great performance car at a very budget low price (I know I'll be paying a lot but I'm talking about what Plymouth envisioned back in the day).

This car will be used on a rotation with my other classic muscle cars so it will probably be driven about once or twice a week and will be worked on when it's not on the road.

A12

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
ACME A12 said:
Welcome A.M.!

ACME

F8 is GRRRRRREAT!
Welcome to the site A.M.

From one newb to another :wave: welcome. and as mcmopar said F8 is GRRRRRREAT in fact all of the "F" code paints were coded with the letter "F" because that meant "FASTER" than the other colors :rolleyes: :jester: and as you get to know more about Mopars you will realize that fact........

The RM code is the best starting point but then there are a few "telltales" that will kind of help to show what your are looking at that the members here I'm sure can let you in on, (radiator part numbers, brake components, torsion bars numbers, radiator support and trunk drip rail numbers, sway bar, etc.,) Nothings for sure as these cars are 40-years old but I'm sure if you find something and post a few photos the members here can tell you what you're looking at. Great group here :cheers: and I've only been here a few days......but lurking for a while :D :D :D .

MikeR

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A12 said:
mcmopar said:
ACME A12 said:
Welcome A.M.!

ACME

F8 is GRRRRRREAT!
Welcome to the site A.M.

From one newb to another :wave: welcome. and as mcmopar said F8 is GRRRRRREAT in fact all of the "F" code paints were coded with the letter "F" because that meant "FASTER" than the other colors :rolleyes: :jester: and as you get to know more about Mopars you will realize that fact........

The RM code is the best starting point but then there are a few "telltales" that will kind of help to show what your are looking at that the members here I'm sure can let you in on, (radiator part numbers, brake components, torsion bars numbers, radiator support and trunk drip rail numbers, sway bar, etc.,) Nothings for sure as these cars are 40-years old but I'm sure if you find something and post a few photos the members here can tell you what you're looking at. Great group here :cheers: and I've only been here a few days......but lurking for a while :D :D :D .

MikeR
Great, now we have a new guy acting up :toetap: :jester: For what its worth the rm21 or post cars ar a little lighter and stonger but I prefer the looks of a hardtop the rm23 :D

glhcarl

Reaction score
I see that we have members that think like George Owell "All Road Runners are created equal, but some Road Runners are more equal then others"

I suggest we heed the words of Rodney King "Can't we all just get along".

Oh by the way R6 Coupes look the best!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

These guys seem to have answered a lot of your questions already and started up about green vs. blue. :jester:

I think one of the more important things that has already been said is to make sure the VIN number matches on the dash, the rad support and the rear trunk rail. There are too many cars out there that have had VIN tags switched... I have seen it too many times.

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Welcome. Im new to the RR too, I picked mine up a little less then a year ago. Its pretty similar to what your looking for. Its a RM21 383 Auto with pretty much no options. Based on what i saw while i was looking you should be able to get a pretty nice car for $20K. Im in North NJ, and picked up mine in upstate NY....

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
Hoosier Bird said:
69hemibeep said:
I prefer the looks of a hardtop the rm23 :D
This is gonna get good, wait till Roadcuda sees this........ :popcorn:

hard tops are better who likes those stupid pop out windows

First, welcome to the coo coo nest, American Muscle. So far you have received some good advise, and there are many good sources of info to be found here. Despite what you heard so far, RM21, that's a post car, is what you want to look for. That post is added protection in the unlikey event that somehow your car were to over turn! And as Mcmopar, and Basketcase, have said, any of the F shades, F3, F5, my car, or F8 are great colors to look for. Most of the other colors are also good, but not so much those starting with a "B," well, some of those guys are always stirring up trouble. :jester: Now, :toetap: where do I start? :devil: As usual Gary is just trying to stir up trouble. And like I said, those "B" guys.....One of which is, Hemibeep! Well Bob I was going to say what do you mean that the new guy Mike is already acting up. I think he's fitting in just fine! But I then I remembered that you have other things on your mind right now. So I'll be kind. Sturat, what do are you talking about Red for? All we ever see you in is that lemon-lime pop Superbird that someone stole the roof off of! :devil: Well AM, If you haven't noticed yet we like to have some fun around here. And you couldn't do that without a great bunch of guys who can take it as well as they can give it out. :banana: Seriously, any Road Runner you find will be another one saved and back on the road. Since you already have a car we don't need to tell what to look for as far as condition goes. So, we hope that you'll stick around, join in on the fun, and ask all the questions you want. Someone here will have an answer for you!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
hard tops are better who likes those stupid pop out windows[/quote]

First, welcome to the coo coo nest, American Muscle. So far you have received some good advise, and there are many good sources of info to be found here. Despite what you heard so far, RM21, that's a post car, is what you want to look for. That post is added protection in the unlikey event that somehow your car were to over turn! And as Mcmopar, and Basketcase, have said, any of the F shades, F3, F5, my car, or F8 are great colors to look for. Most of the other colors are also good, but not so much those starting with a "B," well, some of those guys are always stirring up trouble. :jester: Now, :toetap: where do I start? :devil: As usual Gary is just trying to stir up trouble. And like I said, those "B" guys.....One of which is, Hemibeep! Well Bob I was going to say what do you mean that the new guy Mike is already acting up. I think he's fitting in just fine! But I then I remembered that you have other things on your mind right now. So I'll be kind. Sturat, what do are you talking about Red for? All we ever see you in is that lemon-lime pop Superbird that someone stole the roof off of! :devil: Well AM, If you haven't noticed yet we like to have some fun around here. And you couldn't do that without a great bunch of guys who can take it as well as they can give it out. :banana: Seriously, any Road Runner you find will be another one saved and back on the road. Since you already have a car we don't need to tell what to look for as far as condition goes. So, we hope that you'll stick around, join in on the fun, and ask all the questions you want. Someone here will have an answer for you![/quote]
Your trunk lid is still crooked :popcorn:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hey A.M. I know you are looking for a "no frills" road runner - but the "standard" transmission was a 4-speed. The automatic was an extra cost item. A 4 speed, bench seat car would be the ultimate expression of the spartan road runner. My dad's '69 bird had a 4 speed trans, 383, no a/c, no pb and no ps. About the only option that car had was bucket seats. It even had a 3.23 non-Sure Grip rear end but that car could fly! I hope you find what you are looking for! :thumbsup:

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
hard tops are better who likes those stupid pop out windows

First, welcome to the coo coo nest, American Muscle. So far you have received some good advise, and there are many good sources of info to be found here. Despite what you heard so far, RM21, that's a post car, is what you want to look for. That post is added protection in the unlikey event that somehow your car were to over turn! And as Mcmopar, and Basketcase, have said, any of the F shades, F3, F5, my car, or F8 are great colors to look for. Most of the other colors are also good, but not so much those starting with a "B," well, some of those guys are always stirring up trouble. :jester: Now, :toetap: where do I start? :devil: As usual Gary is just trying to stir up trouble. And like I said, those "B" guys.....One of which is, Hemibeep! Well Bob I was going to say what do you mean that the new guy Mike is already acting up. I think he's fitting in just fine! But I then I remembered that you have other things on your mind right now. So I'll be kind. Sturat, what do are you talking about Red for? All we ever see you in is that lemon-lime pop Superbird that someone stole the roof off of! :devil: Well AM, If you haven't noticed yet we like to have some fun around here. And you couldn't do that without a great bunch of guys who can take it as well as they can give it out. :banana: Seriously, any Road Runner you find will be another one saved and back on the road. Since you already have a car we don't need to tell what to look for as far as condition goes. So, we hope that you'll stick around, join in on the fun, and ask all the questions you want. Someone here will have an answer for you![/quote]
Your trunk lid is still crooked :popcorn:[/quote] wrong :jester: :jester: :jester: shiney hood treatment and all

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
You are in luck if you are looking for a 383 car and have 20-25K to spend. You will get a GREAT car for that money.

Check the VIN on the dash, fender tag, rad support and under the left trunk weatherstrip as mentioned.

For the money you are willing to spend, you should be able to find a nice numbers matching car.

I hear W1 is a nice color...but my car isn't W1 so I wouldn't know anything about that.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys! Just a quick question: Would there be any special numbers or letters on the VIN I should look out for that would tell me it is specifically a RR or were RR's actually special editions of Satellites and Belvedere's? Sorry if these questions sound amateurish but my knowledge in Mopars isn't anywhere nearly as close as my knowldge in GM's.

Back