• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saying 'Hi' from NYC but also have a question.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
RM21 is a post car

RM23 is hardtop

RM27 is a vert

H is a 383

J is a Hemi

M is a 440-6

A "red book" is about 13 bucks and has all the trim codes, production numbers, etc. VERY HANDY book to have. Tells options and even has brief histories on each model. Covers 66-74 or so Mopars.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Welcome A.M.!

RM21 are the post (Belvedere-based) models and RM23 are the hardtops (Satellite-based) models. RM27 would be the droptops.

What to buy depends on what you like and what your budget is. Kind of an open-ended discussion...you probably need to give us some more input in order to better assist you... But ANY Road Runner is a GOOD Road Runner...

Stay away from the ones with F8 paint codes...there was a recall 40 years ago and they're still tryin' to round all of those up... :lmao: (just kidding...!)

:jester:

ACME

[color=#008000First off, Welcome to the site :cheers:
now.....the "alleged" F color coded car recall was a hoax. The secratary typed F instead of B. That's why they are all torn apart in garages all over the country.... :pot:
I had a '68 Charger R/T for 18 years. great car. You should be able to find a driver road runner pretty easy for under $20,000. I got mine in '07. All new interior, rebuilt engine, good frame and body, but needs new 1/4s.
and everyone knows only a real mopar man has pop out windows. window cranks are for sissys :pot: [/color]

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
RM21, RM23 and RM27 are Road Runners...........it is the RM that designates Road Runner. Just thought that was what you were asking.......... :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Hey A.M. I know you are looking for a "no frills" road runner - but the "standard" transmission was a 4-speed. The automatic was an extra cost item. A 4 speed, bench seat car would be the ultimate expression of the spartan road runner. My dad's '69 bird had a 4 speed trans, 383, no a/c, no pb and no ps. About the only option that car had was bucket seats. It even had a 3.23 non-Sure Grip rear end but that car could fly! I hope you find what you are looking for! :thumbsup:

I have only one thing to add to my buddy John's dissertation: A 4 speed, bench seat, POST car would be the ultimate expression of the spartan road runner.

He got it right on every other account....which brings me to my next point: John, you really need to paint that thing B5 and join up with Bob & me; you're far too pragmatic and well-rounded to be runnin' around with those greenies... :lmao:

ACME

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
RM23H9 or RM21H9 will be the first 6 digits of a 69 383 Roadrunner VIN.
RM23M9 for a 440 Six barrel and RM23J9 for a Hemi.

If you find one that has a "M" or a "J" for the sixth digit and its under $20K, then PM me immediatly with the location. :devil:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
If you find one that has a "M" or a "J" for the sixth digit and its under $20K, then PM me immediatly with the location. :devil:

Tem Greene - Bambi's PO - has his Hemicar up for sale and it's <$20K...but I've seen that car and he's tellin' the truth when he calls it a major project... Here's the ad from FBBO:

"Real J code HEMI road runner hard top (RM23J9A). Original R6 w/premium black bench & column auto, rocker and belt moldings, light package, AM/8 track, rear defog, hood stripes, manual steering and brakes. Coastal car. All the metal it needs is now available (except a trunk lid) from AMD. Major project, but it is what it is.

$16.5K O.B.R.O. Might take other Mopar in PART trade, especially a 65 Coronet hard top w/4 speed. Done Hemis are still bringing 6 figures, so this is a way to get into one without a 2nd mortgage."

ACME

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:
Hey A.M. I know you are looking for a "no frills" road runner - but the "standard" transmission was a 4-speed. The automatic was an extra cost item. A 4 speed, bench seat car would be the ultimate expression of the spartan road runner. My dad's '69 bird had a 4 speed trans, 383, no a/c, no pb and no ps. About the only option that car had was bucket seats. It even had a 3.23 non-Sure Grip rear end but that car could fly! I hope you find what you are looking for! :thumbsup:

I have only one thing to add to my buddy John's dissertation: A 4 speed, bench seat, POST car would be the ultimate expression of the spartan road runner.

He got it right on every other account....which brings me to my next point: John, you really need to paint that thing B5 and join up with Bob & me; you're far too pragmatic and well-rounded to be runnin' around with those greenies... :lmao:

ACME

The problem is its not a post car (good catch - my dad's rr - and later my 1st one - was a post car to boot). Besides, if I went blue I'd have to change out the interior and I like the saddle tan/T7 bronze too much to do that! If I was going to repaint it would either be F8 again or a T code bronze. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
The problem is its not a post car (good catch - my dad's rr - and later my 1st one - was a post car to boot). Besides, if I went blue I'd have to change out the interior and I like the saddle tan/T7 bronze too much to do that! If I was going to repaint it would either be F8 again or a T code bronze. :thumbsup:

B5 and saddle might be interesting...definitely different...but maybe interesting...

Your car looks great the way it is. Huh? Suddenly I feel very dizzy... :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
hard tops are better who likes those stupid pop out windows

First, welcome to the coo coo nest, American Muscle. So far you have received some good advise, and there are many good sources of info to be found here. Despite what you heard so far, RM21, that's a post car, is what you want to look for. That post is added protection in the unlikey event that somehow your car were to over turn! And as Mcmopar, and Basketcase, have said, any of the F shades, F3, F5, my car, or F8 are great colors to look for. Most of the other colors are also good, but not so much those starting with a "B," well, some of those guys are always stirring up trouble. :jester: Now, :toetap: where do I start? :devil: As usual Gary is just trying to stir up trouble. And like I said, those "B" guys.....One of which is, Hemibeep! Well Bob I was going to say what do you mean that the new guy Mike is already acting up. I think he's fitting in just fine! But I then I remembered that you have other things on your mind right now. So I'll be kind. Sturat, what do are you talking about Red for? All we ever see you in is that lemon-lime pop Superbird that someone stole the roof off of! :devil: Well AM, If you haven't noticed yet we like to have some fun around here. And you couldn't do that without a great bunch of guys who can take it as well as they can give it out. :banana: Seriously, any Road Runner you find will be another one saved and back on the road. Since you already have a car we don't need to tell what to look for as far as condition goes. So, we hope that you'll stick around, join in on the fun, and ask all the questions you want. Someone here will have an answer for you![/quote]
Your trunk lid is still crooked :popcorn:[/quote]
There's nothing wrong with the lid. It's just the way you're lookin' at it! :jester:

Confederate1969

Reaction score
American Muscle said:
What's going on, everybody? Just joined the site. I am a big fan of muscle cars in general. Among my other vehicles I currently own a 1968 Dodge Charger. That is actually my first and only Mopar.

I am currently looking to purchase a 1968-1969 Roadrunner and I need some help. From what I have read the Roadrunners are based off the Belvederes and Satellites. What should I be looking for in the VIN Numbers and the Fender Tags when I go look at potential buys? I know I read somewhere that the Roadrunner VIN Numbers begin with RM21 or RM23.

I was just wondering if you guys can give me other pointers in what to look out for so I can make sure I make the right choice. Thanks. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Another yankee in our midst! Either Ma Mopar sold 90% of her iron up in yankee territory or Big John's running a massive advertising scheme to get us fellahs down South outnumbered. Just wait till winter when we get to our snowball fights. :jester: I think we've barely got 1 representative per State on the board from our fare region down South. :toetap:

Joking aside, welcome to the board man. :wave: And I agree with the fellahs - I should think if you've got 20g's to spend on a 383 RR, you're going to have some good pickin's to choose from. Glad that another RR will be saved from the rust gremlins when you find one you like.

Reaction score
I got an email from someone looking to sell a '68 Satellite to me. This is what he told me about the vehicle:

Satellite
383 Engine
Black on Black
Split Bench
Column Shifter
Trunk Pan needs to be repatched.
Minor paint issues.

He's willing to throw in a 1972 440 engine along with the car.
He's asking $7000.00

Now as I said, I am looking for an original RR, not a clone. But due to the nagging from a buddy of mine I decided I will at the very least look at the car. The one thing he said that stuck in my mind is that if I can negotiate a lower price I'd be able to invest the money I saved into turning the vehicle into a show vehicle or even a (GASP! :eek: ) a RR clone. He said even at that price I'd be saving about 13k just for a RR VIN number.

I really would like an original RR but what he said kind of makes sense. What do you guys think? Does he make sense or should I be kicking my own ass for even entertaining the thought? :brickwall:

Regardless I have to see the car and like it first. We're supposed to be seeing it next week due to schedule conflicts with me and the seller. I'll let you guys know what happens and if I can I'll take some pictures.

Thanks for all the replies, by the way. I have learned so much since joining the site! I plan on being a sponge and absorbing everything I can about Road Runners and Mopars in general!

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
American Muscle said:
What's going on, everybody? Just joined the site. I am a big fan of muscle cars in general. Among my other vehicles I currently own a 1968 Dodge Charger. That is actually my first and only Mopar.

I am currently looking to purchase a 1968-1969 Roadrunner and I need some help. From what I have read the Roadrunners are based off the Belvederes and Satellites. What should I be looking for in the VIN Numbers and the Fender Tags when I go look at potential buys? I know I read somewhere that the Roadrunner VIN Numbers begin with RM21 or RM23.

I was just wondering if you guys can give me other pointers in what to look out for so I can make sure I make the right choice. Thanks. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

welcome American Muscle....where in nyc do you live??
i am up here in new paltz...not too far away....i went to a show over by newburgh and i got talking to this guy from pine bush who restores cars[ he got best of show with this beautiful 57 chevy wagon] and hes been working on a 69 roadrunner for some guy who ran out of money....he was telling me he had to get around 6200 for the car....i will get you the guys phone number shortly and get back to you if your interested

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
both cars sound well worth looking into. And nothing wrong with a Satellite.They're probably rarer than a road runner.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
If you ever go to sell it, you'll never get the money out of the Satelite that you would a Road Runner. :cents:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
If you ever go to sell it, you'll never get the money out of the Satelite that you would a Road Runner. :cents:

Gary is right - but you're also not going to pay as much for it initially which levels the playing field. How about a quick story to prove my point?

Exactly one year ago at the All Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle a buddy of mine bought a '68 GTX Clone - which was built from a Sport Satellite. The car was a rotisserie restoration - even the underbelly is beautifully painted and detailed, it could literally be a trailer queen and is perfect in nearly every detail - except the VIN. As such he was able to buy that car for $25K. HALF of what an equally detailed and finished REAL '68 GTX would bring. I serioulsy doubt that you could even get a decent resto shop to do a car in that detail for what he paid for it... My point in telling you this story is this: IT JUST COMES DOWN TO WHAT YOU WANT AND WHAT YOU WANT TO DO TO THE CAR. If you don't care about the numbers (my buddy does not - he has a BEAUTIFUL car that only us diehard MoPar Lovers know wasn't born as an "X") and would like to save a few bucks or have a car that you can modify without having to worry about the ramifications of doing so - then get the Satellite. If the numbers matter to you and you really, really want the "real thing" then you have already answered your own question. You can solicit all the opinions that you want; the only one that matters is your own...

The regulars here have seen this before but I'll put it up again so you can see that clones, tributes, whatever-you-want-to-call-them, produce exactly the same ear-to-ear grins as the real things.... This is my buddy Jimbo at the wheel of "Eve". He named her this because she is the FIRST... for him, anyway... :D

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Well.. Yea... Its not a Roadrunner.... But.. A 383 Satellite is still pretty cool.

I had a friend buy a 383 Sport Satellite once. He told me he was thinking of building a GTX clone.... until everyone started looking at the car and saying "Wow.. A 383 Sport Satellite... This is really cool".

droptop

Reaction score
Welcome American Muscle :cheers: In '69 the vin was also stamped on the engine and trans. So if you are looking for a numbers matching car, look for this as well. And, RM27 is the BEST of all!!

moparstuart

Reaction score
I have 2 real road runners and a sport satelite 383 convertible that is now a road runner superbird clone

I love them all just the same but the clone i can modify with out feeling as bad . Maybe i like the clone alittle more but that because nothing beats a drop top .

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
The regulars here have seen this before but I'll put it up again so you can see that clones, tributes, whatever-you-want-to-call-them, produce exactly the same ear-to-ear grins as the real things.... This is my buddy Jimbo at the wheel of "Eve". He named her this because she is the FIRST... for him, anyway... :D[/quote]

and that pic says it all. no matter what you drive, if you don't look like that man when driving your baby, then somethings wrong.

Back