• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

She Runs TOO HOT.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got the 505 installed and she is running great, but WAY too hot. Yes, I've heard from everyone that a new engine needs to be broken in and it will run "a little hotter" until things loosen up, but this is too much.

It's a brand new Champion Aluminum 4 Row 26" radiator, with twin electric fans, I think 12" fans. I'm running straight water with No-Rosion added here in South Florida.

At highway speeds, it's about 205 to 210. Get onto the side roads and it gets up to 250. I don't like it.

I do not want to use a pulley driven fan. I had the same exact problem with the 383 I removed for the 505. So, the common denominator is the cooling system, with different engines, both run VERY hot.

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks,

John

Ranger

Reaction score
WOW! That IS hot. I'm surprised it's that hot with that set up. What thermostat are you running?

JJRJR

Reaction score
not sure what they put in there, but at those temps I don't see how it's doing anything at all. I think the fan is just not pulling enough air at slow speeds.

snook

Reaction score
Too much timing? Lean? No thermostat? I live in SFL too but I don't have that problem. Running down the road in the heat of the day, I get 180* with a 180* thermostat. At idle less than 10 minutes, will creep to 195*, after 10 minutes will get to 210-220*. I have an aftermarket aluminum rad and I'm not convinced that it's better than a stock 26" rad. Oh yaeh, I have a mech fan and a half-ass shroud I'm testing.

Chuck

Last edited:

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks Chuck. I haven't gotten to the dyno yet, but once I drive about 500 miles, we're going to the chasis dyno to dial it all in. There is a T-Stat, just don't recall which one. Your numbers sound great. I am not crazy with the Electric Fan set up. I thought it was the "latest and greatest" but it's been nothing but a pain in the ass.

Too much timing? Lean? No thermostat? I live in SFL too but I don't have that problem. Running down the road in the heat of the day, I get 180* with a 180* thermostat. At idle less than 10 minutes, will creep to 195*, after 10 minutes will get to 210-220*. I have an aftermarket aluminum rad and I'm not convinced that it's better than a stock 26" rad. Oh yaeh, I have a mech fan and a half-ass shroud I'm testing.

Chuck

snook

Reaction score
I've never had good luck with electric fans on the street or race car. It's weird though, I have a 2006 suburban with electric fans and it will idle all day at 200* and tow the same way.

JJRJR

Reaction score
I know, that's why I went with electric. Pretty much ALL cars and trucks come with electric these days. I have a 2005 Suburban that does the same thing. Nice and cool all day when it's 95 degrees out.

Oh well. I'm taking the Runner to a local car show tonight that they have every Friday night, so let's see how the temp is.

John

I've never had good luck with electric fans on the street or race car. It's weird though, I have a 2006 suburban with electric fans and it will idle all day at 200* and tow the same way.

snook

Reaction score
I'm in Port St. Lucie. Where are you located?

Ranger

Reaction score
I was running 200-210 on the highway. It had a factory spec'd 190 in it.
I just recently replaced it with a 180 and it run much like Snook's, I run a nice cool 180-185. I did climb to 230 recently in a looong stop & go line at the Hot Rod Power Tour.
I am still running the factory 7 blade belt driven fan on a factory 22" radiator.
Just installed a shroud after getting home (that 230 incident scared me), but yet to see how well it works in long traffic jambs.

quikbird

Reaction score
I run a 26" crossflow aluminum rad from PRC with a dual electric fan and shroud I pulled off the deal table at summit just because it was 26" wide and it fit just about perfectly. originally for a jeep I think. this setup keeps my 500 pretty cool

outlet1265

Reaction score
Why would you not be using antifreeze in the cooling system? I realize it will never freeze, however water will always run hotter than antifreeze, plus you need the anti corrosion properties as well. I would ditch the electric fans for a good "old school" flex fan.

Ranger

Reaction score
Actually, water is a better coolant than anti-freeze. It does a better job at heat transfer than 50/50 anti-freeze. That's why NASCAR cars run straight water.
The Op said he is running a corrosion inhibitor (and I assume it has lubricant in it as well), so he should be just fine.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
mine had an electric plus a flex fan when I got it, and it ran hot. pulled them off and went with an OEM fan and all is well except on those HHH days in traffic.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Why no coolant in that radiator? I run 75% coolant / 25% water in mine. The old one I had took 100% coolant and it ran acceptable temps. Running straight water will definitely cause it to run too warm.

Ranger

Reaction score
Running 100% coolant is worse than straight water. It's never recommended.
75% is pushing the limits unless you are in Northern Canada.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i went thru all of that with my twin spal fans/electric water pump....ran up to 225 on a cool 65 degree night...go with a flex fan....shroud....and mechanical water pump.........180 all day........and it really works

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
I run Evan's Waterless Coolant with a SB 26" 3 row 3/4" row slots which is not as good as a 2 row with 1" row slots, 18" flex fan, 14" electric pusher on a temp sensor relay set to 205° 20" stock fan shroud repop. No stat open system and the highest temps I see on a 99° day is 200-205° and that is only after a good beat run at 120 mph+ then back to the traffic lights on the street. Cruise all day at 170-190°.

250° and I would have shut it down immediately. even 230 would have made me shut it off and pull over, that is crazy. there is no reason a 500+ hp motor can't stay cool with the right system. I'm surprised you didn't blow out a hose with that high of a temp the pressure must have been huge, did you cap vent off to the overflow?

JJRJR

Reaction score
Guys, I'm still trying to diagnose the problem. 100% water with a corrosion inhibitor and lubricant (no-rosion) is the coolest way to run. Anti freeze is only needed if freeze is a problem.

No room for a flex fan using the existing radiator, so I'd have to get something thinner to make room for a shroud and fan. I am running an Edelbrock mechanical water pump. REALLY trying to avoid getting a new radiator, I can not see why a 4 row aluminum brand new radiator would not cool this motor. It's rated for up to 800 HP from Champion. I've heard decent things about their radiators. My 383 did the same exact thing, so it's got to be something with the fans or the radiator itself.

I'll keep the board posted, but as of now, I don't want to drive it until I can figure this out.

Back