• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Me Your Engines

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:
no stinkin tabs on my carbs.....
I'd have to give you a zero on your concoarse resto :lmao:

Yeah, but his Fun-Meter is pegged and the needle is coming back around... :D

George, in light of the fact that your carb tags are "missing", I think you should put some grease pencil markings on that bird to make it more "original". A nice, big "F U" on the diff cover ought to be just about the perfect "resto touch"... :lmao:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:
no stinkin tabs on my carbs.....
I'd have to give you a zero on your concoarse resto :lmao:

George, in light of the fact that your carb tags are "missing", I think you should put some grease pencil markings on that bird to make it more "original". A nice, big "F U" on the diff cover ought to be just about the perfect "resto touch"... :lmao:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
After seeing the video of his run at the strip, "BYE BYE" would also be a good one!

dstryr

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
did you use light weight valve springs for cam break in???
make sure you have zinc additive in your oil or you could wipe out your cam...anti-scuff

sound like a great engine....good luck and keep an eye on your valve adjustments

We used the 440Source springs& dampeners for the break-in with Rotella 20W-50 and plenty of comp cams break-in additive. EDM lifters were also chosen to provide more oil to the cam lobes. Will keep an eye on the lash until I get a feel for how well it stays in spec. :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
dstryr said:
george68hemirr said:
did you use light weight valve springs for cam break in???
make sure you have zinc additive in your oil or you could wipe out your cam...anti-scuff

sound like a great engine....good luck and keep an eye on your valve adjustments

We used the 440Source springs& dampeners for the break-in with Rotella 20W-50 and plenty of comp cams break-in additive. EDM lifters were also chosen to provide more oil to the cam lobes. Will keep an eye on the lash until I get a feel for how well it stays in spec. :thumbsup:

how much are these EDM LIFTERS...this website says $159.00 each??...or is that 1 set??....http://www.buyracingparts.com/valvetrai ... l.....this is something new out??..i am using schubeck solid lifters which has a composite/ceramic bottom....no break-in/no wear..$800.00 for a set....your lifters seems like a great idea but you still need zinc in your oil which was taking out of todays oils because of bad emissions to the environment...% zinc is the amount of zinc used as an extreme pressure, anti- wear additive. The zinc is only used when there is actual metal to metal contact in the engine. Hopefully the oil will do its job and this will rarely occur, but if it does, the zinc compounds react with the metal to prevent scuffing and wear. A level of .11% is enough to protect an automobile engine for the extended oil drain interval, under normal use. Those of you with high reving, air cooled motorcycles or turbo charged cars or bikes might want to look at the oils with the higher zinc content. More doesn't give you better protection, it gives you longer protection if the rate of metal to metal contact is abnormally high.........read this also.....http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

george68hemirr

Reaction score
I'd have to give you a zero on your concoarse resto :lmao:[/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:[/quote]
After seeing the video of his run at the strip, "BYE BYE" would also be a good one![/quote]

you guys are funny :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Do I get any points or a prize of some sort for the tag on my 71 440 AVS? It denotes that it is indeed the low po version. Really impotant.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
dstryr said:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/oil/oil_camwear2.html

Lifters were $175, comp cams #2901-16. The motor has at least a couple of hours of break-in and dyno run time and about half of the valves needed adjusting by the end of the runs. Check out the article above, good reading on the zinc compoud and its process of protection.

GREAT INFO....but should we believe a chevy website....just kidding.....lots of luck to ya

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ok here we go again. Larry busted me for no dash pot and I didn't have the carb tags on in the last pic. So give it your evil eye again and see if I missed anything Larry :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Ok here we go again. Larry busted me for no dash pot and I didn't have the carb tags on in the last pic. So give it your evil eye again and see if I missed anything Larry :lol:
I see both those things! :thumbsup: Looks great Bob! :worship: But seeing those freshly restored carbs makes me want to know where my carb is!!!!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

Sweet!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seems a damned shame that you're leaving that thing to Stu-Rat "The Vega HatchBack Guy" in your will... :lol:

You & I need to work out a "reverse mortgage" kind of deal on that beautiful specimen of B5 History...and I have an A-Body with your name on it as a down payment... :D

:jester:

Back