• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Me Your Engines

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I had been wondering if folks were dropping 5.7L and 6.1L Hemi's into old model Mopars. Not that I would do it, but I wonder what kind of modifications that would require.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Not much of a fan of those late model engines with their cheap-looking, giant, plastic engine covers that hide the actual business end of the engine. You don't need any crap like that if your engine is a nicely detailed, whether it be a stocker or built like a brick sh*t-house like George's... 'Nuff said...

:jester:
ACME
I agree with you Ray. It's no fun looking at the modern muscle cars at the car shows, when you can't see the engine under all that plastic. And I don't get why they want to transplant a modern engine in an old car. That takes away the idea of reliving the experience of driving the old technology. If you want a modern engine and handling, then buy a new car and drive that! :jester:

A12

Reaction score
Yep that's the DP-4B with the Edelbrock ground off and a Holley 670 Street Avenger sitting under the stock air filter can. The ECU is mounted inside the car under the dash and the wires were run inside of the stock wiring harness from the distributor to the firewall junction block where an unused pin was used to go from the engine side to the interior under the dash. You can see the red wire at the distributor, then into the harness and then pick it up again just at the firewall near the brake master cylinder as it enters the junction block. It has a Dynamic Torque converter with a little more stall (wink) and will soon have a 3.91 rear. It has a 3.23 Suregrip in it now which is nice for long distance cruising but I have way too much rear tire for that high of a rear gear IMO, (255/60-15 on 8" chrome Torque Thrusts) feels like a 2.73.

To keep this on topic here's an engine in a '69 A12 RR........not mine darnit :drool:

MikeR

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
ACME A12 said:
Not much of a fan of those late model engines with their cheap-looking, giant, plastic engine covers that hide the actual business end of the engine. You don't need any crap like that if your engine is a nicely detailed, whether it be a stocker or built like a brick sh*t-house like George's... 'Nuff said...

ACME
I agree with you Ray. It's no fun looking at the modern muscle cars at the car shows, when you can't see the engine under all that plastic. And I don't get why they want to transplant a modern engine in an old car. That takes away the idea of reliving the experience of driving the old technology. If you want a modern engine and handling, then buy a new car and drive that! :jester:

Its pretty traditional (take that Acme) to put a new engine in an old car. Hot rodders have been doing it for years!

0601sr_01_z+1932_ford_highboy_roadster+frame_side_view.jpg

I wouldn't do it in a Roadrunner... but I always thought it would be cool to update an A body with modern engine and suspension. A high tech ride that would let you take advantage of modern tuning and technology, look like a classic Mopar... even to the point of being a "sleeper" to most people... and have it go, stop and handle better then any of the crap on the market and get 30 MPG!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
thanks for sharing Mike. That red car looks great, and the engine looks nicely done........but it's about as exciting as looking under the hood of a Yugo. Your's looks so much better. I'm not so much a nit picking gotta have the original 1969 air in the tires kinda guy, but I want to see massive cubes of Chrysler Big Block. And if you're gonna put a Hemi in it...I wanna see wide valve covers with the plus wires.

A12

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
A12 said:
I'll try to make up for it by posting my engine with the HEMI grind :D Comp cam, Edlebrock intake, electronic distributor (hidden ECU inside under dash) and Holley 670 St Avgnr carb.........a snoozer :beep:

MikeR

Nice looking engine bay, Mike. :thumbsup: Were all of the '68 383 engines turquoise? Good choice on the ECU location. Gotta figure out where I want to mount mine on Bambi when the time comes. Currently residing where the washer reservoir should be. Bob K suggested under the battery tray. I've got plenty of time to figure it out... :lol:

Ray

Ray, thanks. Yep all of the '68 383 rr and bee engines were turquoise A/C or not.

I can't get this one running for some reason?? :beep: :jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's sweet Mac :worship: ...so...that's what my shroud should look like....

mac

What ?
Reaction score
thanks. hope to be able to get it looking that way again. have plans to change a few things in the spring so i will be taking it apart again. :brickwall:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well if it was easy anyone could do it..............that looks great Tom :thumbsup:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
One thing I noticed on a few engines is that some have LOTS of rubber hose fuel lines. :eek: Plastic fuel filters are a concern as well. I ditched mine riht after I confirmed I didn't have crap coming from the tank after sitting for years.

Back