• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slot mags history / opinion / discuss

sam z

Reaction score
Wheels are always a popular topic I think.

Slot mags are looking better and better right now. I've visited a site or two on
cleaning them up and they come out pretty nicely when done right. They seem
to be in every vendors booth in carlisle so they aren't that hard to find. I
don't remember guys asking for a lot of money either (supply demand thing
at work).

What do you guys think? For those that lived through the 70's were they
all over the place or what?

I haven't committed to them but it seems to me a lot of us give some serious
thought to different types of wheels and have a hard time committing to just
one.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I still have some stashed around here. In the eighties I ran a pair of 15" X 12" Satin Centerlines on the rear of my FE5 Duster 340 with a pair of 15" X 6" US Mags aluminum slots (I had 15" X 3" Centerline pizza cutters on it but when it again became my daily driver I needed more rubber contacting the road) up front and I loved the look...kind of a revamp of the old slots or spokes on the front and steelies on the back like we saw in the sixties. Those are 5 on 4" BC - still have them. Have a pair of 15" X 10" with the 4.5" BC out there too - but they need some TLC.

I came across a super nice set of Fentons at the Turkey Run in Daytona back in November. 15" X 4" and 15" X 10". Would have looked great on my F4 '70 Duster...but the guy was asking a grand because they were so nice and the 4 inchers are pretty hard to find in really good condition. Just as well - I'm determined to find a set of Motor Wheel Flys for that car. I already have the picture in my head and I don't want to deviate: 10 foot deep black paint, caged and tubbed, narrowed Dana out back, blown Hemi poking through the hood replete with old school mechanical injection (gotta have a barrel valve so it idles like an old Gasser...up and down...up and down...) and a polished set of Flys. But back to your post, Sam...damn, I got that off track quickly... :lol:

Marty's car rocks with the slots. I've noticed a few companies even reintroducing them. You could get a brand new set of "retros" if you wanted... I say "Go for it!" :thumbsup:

:jester:

droptop

Reaction score
I am currently looking for a set of 14" slots to put on the '80. I love the old school look of slots.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
droptop said:
I am currently looking for a set of 14" slots to put on the '80. I love the old school look of slots.

What width(s) would you like, Harold? I'll keep an eye out for them...

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
I still have some stashed around here.
...........................Why am I not surprised :acme: :lol:

Just wait until you're up to your elbows in your A-Body project...your attitude is gonna change, Mister... :lol:

droptop

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
droptop said:

Would like 14x7's all the way around.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
droptop said:
ACME A12 said:
droptop said:

Would like 14x7's all the way around.

Any particular reason you want 14" rims? Man, some people really look at you cross-eyed when you start asking about 14" tire availability... :lol:

droptop

Reaction score
Would like 14x7's all the way around.[/quote]

Any particular reason you want 14" rims? Man, some people really look at you cross-eyed when you start asking about 14" tire availability... :lol:[/quote]

I would go with 15's but I already have new tires. plus the F body wheel wells are not as big.

sam z

Reaction score
The slots look good with that color. I'm a RWL kind of guy but still look sharp.

As far as 14" rims go I'd prefer 15's, simply based upon tire availability alone.

BFG has 225/70/14 readily available and they also have 245/60/14 which are a
pain to get. I had the 245's on my car when I bought it. Sidewalls are narrow and
I though they looked stupid personally.

But, that photo above does do a good job of selling slots. Going to keep my
eyes open for a bargain.

Hey....one last thing for everybody...is there any really good way to determine if
a rim (especially a used one) is straight when there is no tire mounted and you
just have them laying on the garage floor? What can you do, put it on a flat surface
to see if it wobbles? Any suggestions on this? I don't want to get hosed on used
rims, it has happened before.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sam z said:
The slots look good with that color. I'm a RWL kind of guy but still look sharp.

As far as 14" rims go I'd prefer 15's, simply based upon tire availability alone.

pain to get. I had the 245's on my car when I bought it. Sidewalls are narrow and

eyes open for a bargain.

Hey....one last thing for everybody...is there any really good way to determine if
just have them laying on the garage floor? What can you do, put it on a flat surface
to see if it wobbles? Any suggestions on this? I don't want to get hosed on used
Mount it in the front and spin it! :yesnod: Or roll it down a good flat clean concrete slab and watch the beads, it's better than nothing.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
sam z said:

eyes open for a bargain.

I'm running 275/60r15s on the rear and 255/60r15 on the front. I don't think that car color should be the deal breaker. I've seen slots on everything from corvettes to vans and they always look good no matter the paint scheme. You'll be happy with them. US Mags is making them again under MHTwheels and they are the ones I'd probably go with. As far as the RWLs, thats cool if it's what you like. I don't think that it would work for me. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
As far as the RWLs, thats cool if it's what you like. I don't think that it would work for me. :thumbsup:

I'm with you, Marty. Certain wheel/tire/car/color combos really work with RWL...but for the most part I just like slots with good old plain black sidewalls. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I really like the old slots, my neighbor and I were bench racing yesterday and got to talking about them and both agree the slots and torque thrust wheels are about the best. Then the Cragar SS came up and he about :puke: He grew up in SoCal and said back then every lowrider ran the SS wheels :lol:

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
I know that I'm going to get for this, but Cragar SS's are last on my list. Not a fan at all, however the SS/T's (totally different wheel I know) on the right vehicle, I love. Centerline has a new wheel called the CRS1 that I'm kind of diggin'.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
I know that I'm going to get for this, but Cragar SS's are last on my list. Not a fan at all, however the SS/T's (totally different wheel I know) on the right vehicle, I love. Centerline has a new wheel called the CRS1 that I'm kind of diggin'.
I like Keystones on the right rig also :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:

Oooooh. CSW Green hiding under Mustard Yellow RR Lovers will not be pleased with this post... :lol:

I've always liked the Cragar S/S wheels. Don't want them on everything that I own, but I do like them. I think they look nice on my little gold Duster.

Was never a fan of the SS/T's. Loved the original drag racing version of the Super Tricks, but not the watered down street version. My Z-28 was wearing a set with the gold centers when I got it - first thing I did was send those down the road.

Not familiar with the CRS1 - have to check that one out.

I love the looks of the Torque Thrusts...but their limited backspacing selection means I'll likely never have a set. That fact largely led me to opt for the Halibrands when I bought wheels for Bambi; that and the fact that I just wanted something that not everyone else had. A12s have been done to death with black H Wheels and Torque Thrusts, so the quest for something else was on...

Never a big fan of the Keystones. Don't hate 'em - who could, S&M ran them back in the day - but have never been a huge fan.

Chris, I think the actual kidney bean wheels are in fact the old Halibrand slotted mags.

Now if I could just find that elusive set of 15" X 3" (or 4") and 15" X 14" Motor Wheel Flys...

Back