spary painting the dash panel

Body, Interior and Trim

1. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    I bought the paint from the company in CA. When spraying it did you have to thin the paint at all. It is a lacquer paint. What primer did you use on the metal before spraying it on. Thanks for any info on what you might have done. Russ :thumbsup2:

2. Rich B

Rich B Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2019
    E71D746D-1513-4595-870B-AC4B238FEB28.jpeg Only thing I’m aware of Russ is when painting over acrylic with lacquer or vice-verse the paint has a good chance of crinkling if too much applied during spraying. Once in awhile it does settle down. Lacquer though can provide a really nice finish, may want to clear coat; dash was a dull or semi-gloss if I recall, not shiny anyways.

Same idea for wide black stripes on hood, to cut down on glare. Was doing same on B-17’s, WWII and others. Have seen a dark green also used on locomotive hoods.

Russ69Runner likes this.
  3. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    Ive gone over the metal no primer just as the factory did. I did use some rust-oleum rust converter in a couple of spots on the last one I did, didn't bother the lacquer

Russ69Runner likes this.
  4. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    That is good to know Bob. Nothing worst than to have paint rejection. Like wrinkles in the top coat. Or it just start to lift off. I did check with my paint supply store and a painter friend of mine and said the epoxy would not be rejected by the Lacquer paint. Thanks for the advice. Russ. :thumbsup2:

5. droptop

droptop Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2008
    When talking to Dave At Performance Car Graphics, he told me that he puts on a light coat of textured finish paint under the color coat on the dash frame and steering column to give it the right amount of texture.

Russ69Runner likes this.
  6. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    I just get the suede paint in the color thats needed

Russ69Runner likes this.
  7. ACME A12

ACME A12 Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator Staff Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Yep.

Russ69Runner likes this.
  8. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Yes I did that. I also called TCP Global and got instruction's on how to thin it for spraying. Thanks for the info. Russ.:thumbsup2: