• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer pinion

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
Anyone know what color/tooth count pinion was used in the 1968 23-spline 4-speed?

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
Currently 3:55 rear with 205 60 15's I looked at the site but all I could find were the part numbers. Gonna stay with the 3:55 rear but will probably be going back to 215 60 14's before I get a chance to change it out.

69383RR

Reaction score
I'm assuming your referring to the gears in the differential . How critical is the tire size of the equation, ? sorry Pinkpanther for high jacking your thread .

Last edited:

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
I'm assuming your referring to the gears in the differential . How critical is the tire size of the equation, ? sorry Pinkpanther for high jacking your thread .

Hijack away, I was always told that you go by the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo. Shouldn't be much difference in the speedo if you go from 215 70 14 to 215 60 15 or something else where the overall diameter is close. But if you go with 17's or something where there is a large difference in overall diameter you could easily end up with a speeding ticket!:brickwall:

droptop

Reaction score
I have a spread sheet that you input gear ratio, tire size, etc, and it will calculate how many teeth you need on your speedometer gear. I will post it when I get home.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
I have a spread sheet that you input gear ratio, tire size, etc, and it will calculate how many teeth you need on your speedometer gear. I will post it when I get home.

Would be greatly appreciated.

droptop

Reaction score
Can't put spreadsheet on website. Pm me your email address, and I will send it to you. Or give me your tire size and rear ratio and I will tell you what gear you need.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
if it looks like it is leaking, but I've never had to change one.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
if it looks like it is leaking, but I've never had to change one.
Read on one of the sites the guys posted that if it did leak it could get all the way up to the speedo? Def. don't want a cluster full of gear oil.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
hmmmm......never heard of that happening, but since the speedo cable needs a tad bit of oil anyway.......:D

Back