• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer woes

dmartin

Reaction score
Ok I have a new speedometer cable, new speedometer but it still doesn't work. I have the old highway gears, my year one book calls for a white gear but mine is orange red color could that be the reason it doesn't work?

quikbird

Reaction score
Color usually just means different teeth. This determines speed of rotation of your speedo cable and as such the visible speed. This is how you compensate for different tire sizes etc. you can bypass this with a small box that interfaces in the cable and can adjust speed rather than keep changing the gear.

quikbird

Reaction score
is the cable broken? not fully engaged in the back of the speedometer? most speedo's from this era are driven by a rotating magnet on the end of the cable that "drags" the needle around. so there isn't a direct connection to the cable. most likely problem is b, cable not fully engaged in the speedo. hope that helped

dmartin

Reaction score
Well I have a new speedometer from good old summitracing have not checked the cable

dmartin

Reaction score
Well put a drill on speedometer cable and the cable is good and the speedometer does work it went to 20 miles an hour so is there anything that could be wrong with where it comes out of tranny

1778ppr

Plymouth Owner
Reaction score
It sounds like the plastic speedo gear is not meshing with the trans output shaft worm gear.

There is one bolt that holds a “fork” looking hold down for the speedo gear retainer. There are 4 positions 90 degrees apart that you can install the speedo gear retainer in the transmission. Each position is a different distance from the trans. output shaft speedo worm gear via rotation to the 4 positions. If the plastic speedo gear is not correctly installed via the retainer position the plastic gear will not mate with the worm gear on the output shaft. Therefore it will not turn the plastic gear which will not turn the cable, etc. The reason for the 4 position is for different diameter (read number of teeth) plastic speedo gears.

Hope this helps, John

dmartin

Reaction score
Well the question is how do you know what the right position is

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Each quadrant on the housing should be marked for the range of teeth that it is intended to work with.

dmartin

Reaction score
So I should probably just keep turning it till it starts to work or can you feel it or do you have to drive the car to check it out

dmartin

Reaction score
Yeah I talked to my buddy down south Ga he told me what to do and what to look for so my new one works as well as the old one good job!

Back