• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spring arrived

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
meepbeep69 said:
We are. Got the wife practicing "STAY LEFT" already.

Any suggestions Bob...just PM me on where to go.

The comment to Steve about speaking slower is twofold. I was in England trying to find my dad's WWII airbase in Sudbury. My wife whom I love dearly was saying, "just put it in Garmin". (Honey it closed up in 1946 and there ain't no address-just a big honking field on the NE side of town!!)

I stopped an older Englishman to help me. He was talking so darned fast I couldn't understand him. I asked if he could repeat it but please slow down. He asked how come I couldn't understand the King's English and called me a Yank. Now I know what the third off on the roundabout is. Great Fish and Chips at the White Horse Pub--It was there in 1944 and still going strong now.

I shared that with Steve who apparently had the same thing happen. It sounds like he was in a rural part of Georgia trying to order a good ol' fashioned hamburger. I only hope he was not at a drive-thru.
Once your on the road your ok its that first time you leave a driveway. And have your copilot ready to read the roundabouts you may go around more than once, they post allot of info at each exit. Most of the roads are quite narrow but in good shape. We started in Dublin and went clockwise around the island from B&B to B&B for two weeks and all the people were great. By the time we got to Shannon we found a McDonalds and a cheeseburger as bad as they are sounded good, I started to enter the drive up backwards and caught myself pretty quickly. Its not a bad idea if you have time to watch the exchange rate and buy Euro's on dips. As far as eating all the restaurants were good and Pub food also. When you walk into a pub at meal time and you see an empty table wait to be seated, it may belong to someone playing pool in the back and it's theirs until they pay the bill and leave. Ask me how I know :lol: The first day we took a train to norther Ireland out of Dublin that was cool but exchanging dollars for euro's to pounds or sterling what ever its called and back is a looser. :yesnod: Oh and try to keep track as to how many times the driver heads to the wrong side of the car :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'd love to go to England and tour some of the WWll air bases.I've got a couple books that show what they looked like in WWll, and what they look like now. most you can hardly tell what was there.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Check out dad's old site...486th.org

Then sometime when you are really bored. Google earth satellite then look to the northeast of most towns over there. There is a bunch of concrete laid and they just dumped dirt over them and farm wheat.

There are a lot of Eighth Army Air Corp stations still visible. Look for triangles. They are primarily to the east and north of London. You can even see the one in McCook Nebraska where the 486th originated.

Steve

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
meepbeep69 said:
We are. Got the wife practicing "STAY LEFT" already.

Any suggestions Bob...just PM me on where to go.

The comment to Steve about speaking slower is twofold. I was in England trying to find my dad's WWII airbase in Sudbury. My wife whom I love dearly was saying, "just put it in Garmin". (Honey it closed up in 1946 and there ain't no address-just a big honking field on the NE side of town!!)

I stopped an older Englishman to help me. He was talking so darned fast I couldn't understand him. I asked if he could repeat it but please slow down. He asked how come I couldn't understand the King's English and called me a Yank. Now I know what the third off on the roundabout is. Great Fish and Chips at the White Horse Pub--It was there in 1944 and still going strong now.

I shared that with Steve who apparently had the same thing happen. It sounds like he was in a rural part of Georgia trying to order a good ol' fashioned hamburger. I only hope he was not at a drive-thru.
Once your on the road your ok its that first time you leave a driveway. And have your copilot ready to read the roundabouts you may go around more than once, they post allot of info at each exit. Most of the roads are quite narrow but in good shape. We started in Dublin and went clockwise around the island from B&B to B&B for two weeks and all the people were great. By the time we got to Shannon we found a McDonalds and a cheeseburger as bad as they are sounded good, I started to enter the drive up backwards and caught myself pretty quickly. Its not a bad idea if you have time to watch the exchange rate and buy Euro's on dips. As far as eating all the restaurants were good and Pub food also. When you walk into a pub at meal time and you see an empty table wait to be seated, it may belong to someone playing pool in the back and it's theirs until they pay the bill and leave. Ask me how I know :lol: The first day we took a train to norther Ireland out of Dublin that was cool but exchanging dollars for euro's to pounds or sterling what ever its called and back is a looser. :yesnod: Oh and try to keep track as to how many times the driver heads to the wrong side of the car :lol:
Bob,I was telling Casey about a Fly-drive I did to Georgia in 1986 and all the fun I had driving on the "wrong side" of the road.I would occasionally drive on the left side of the road when I wasn't concentrating :drive:
Other highlight's include:
Same as you,climbing into the right hand side of the car on numerous occasions then sheepishly looking round before getting out and getting in the left side.
Best though was after ordering a burger which seemed to take forever due to the locals struggling with my accent and me talking too fast was leaving the Wendy's driveway.I pulled up on the wrong side to join the highway."Oh shit" I'm on the wrong side I thought,seconds later an Iroc-Z with a young couple inside drove alongside to enter Wendy's.A charming lady leaned out of the passenger window."STUPID F##KER" she bellowed,screaming it again at the top of her voice in case I hadn't heard her the first time :lmao: I remember trying not to laugh and gave her a friendly apologetic wave :lol:
Best holiday ever,I loved it and have got to do it again someday :thumbsup:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Steve said:
seconds later an Iroc-Z with a young couple inside drove alongside to enter Wendy's.A charming lady leaned out of the passenger window."STUPID F##KER" she bellowed,screaming it again at the top of her voice in case I hadn't heard her the first time

Ahhh... Welcome to America!

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Big John said:
Steve said:
seconds later an Iroc-Z with a young couple inside drove alongside to enter Wendy's.A charming lady leaned out of the passenger window."STUPID F##KER" she bellowed,screaming it again at the top of her voice in case I hadn't heard her the first time

Ahhh... Welcome to America!
x2
Very funny :lol: 1986= big hair, mullets, guidos and iroc-zs.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Steve,

The offer is still open. Nothing like trucking on down LSD with the top down.

I'll just give you a check ride first (Stay Right!)

And there ain’t no road just like it,
Anywhere I’ve found.
Runnin' south on Lake Shore Drive,
Headin' into town.
Just slippin' on by on LSD,
Friday night trouble bound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhYIYb44 ... re=related

All the bugs will be worked out of Greenie. She's got a 440 also! :drive:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Getting back on track, which is a second or so around here!!!!, :lmao: spring has broke as there is a good ol' fashion Nor'easter moving in for Thursday night and Friday. We could get from 1 to 4 inches of wet snow mixed with rain around where I am and north western parts of the state could get up to a foot! :brickwall: But they say most of the sh!t will pile up on grassy surfaces and not so much on the road. I hope they are right as I have a car club meeting Sunday and have been planing on taking the Road Runner. Will it ever warm up?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Getting back on track, which is a second or so around here!!!!, :lmao: spring has broke as there is a good ol' fashion Nor'easter moving in for Thursday night and Friday. We could get from 1 to 4 inches of wet snow mixed with rain around where I am and north western parts of the state could get up to a foot! :brickwall: But they say most of the sh!t will pile up on grassy surfaces and not so much on the road. I hope they are right as I have a car club meeting Sunday and have been planing on taking the Road Runner. Will it ever warm up?
And they are talking triple digits here this weekend :toetap:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
SPRING ARRIVED MY ASS.....3-6 INCHES OF SNOW FRIDAY.....BULLSHIT :eek:

Just have it cleared by Saturday, will ya? Connecting in JFK on Saturday afternoon...

:jester:

Steve

Reaction score
meepbeep69 said:
Steve,

The offer is still open. Nothing like trucking on down LSD with the top down.

I'll just give you a check ride first (Stay Right!)

And there ain’t no road just like it,
Anywhere I’ve found.
Runnin' south on Lake Shore Drive,
Headin' into town.
Just slippin' on by on LSD,
Friday night trouble bound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhYIYb44 ... re=related

All the bugs will be worked out of Greenie. She's got a 440 also! :drive:
Thanks mate,Lake Shore Drive looks great :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
george68hemirr said:
SPRING ARRIVED MY ASS.....3-6 INCHES OF SNOW FRIDAY.....BULLSHIT :eek:

Just have it cleared by Saturday, will ya? Connecting in JFK on Saturday afternoon...

:jester:
It shouldn't be a problem Ray. The last I heard this morning on the NY station, was that it should be mostly rain around the city.

Back