• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spring Relocation Start

BBillyC

Reaction score
Well I finally got up enough guts to do this. I narrowed 3-1/2" per side. I squared up everything on the from the front torsion bar frame which worked great. I made my own hangers and only wanted the hole. I used 12" 3.5" x 3.5" and marked it out on the frame. You can see a little notch at the front. Tomorrow I will set up the shackle perches. I measured the stock spring width at the original hanger and at the shackle perches and they are both 44" on center, so they are parallel. I dumped the photos on photo bucket so we'll see how this works posting them.

AxleDropped.jpg

BBillyC

Reaction score
In lining this up I dropped a plumb bob from the torsion bar frame on both sides and marked the floor and snapped a line. Then marked center of the original hanger holes onto the frame and dropped a plumb bob from the center of the hole on both sides and marked the floor and snapped a line. They were an exact measurement showing that the spring holes in the hanger were perfectly square. I used the same lines to position the hole in the new narrowed hanger. Then I measure in from the center of the old perch 1-3/4" to set the outside flange of the new hanger. That makes the whole thing narrowed by 7 inches in total which left about a half in on either side of the frame for welding. I must admit I was quite surprised at how flimsy the stamped frame metal is. I had to use enough heat on the welder to penetrate the heavy gauge hanger and yet weld the thin metal without undercutting it. I umped around from spot to spot so as not to put too much heat into it. It may not be that pretty but it worked out real well. Tomorrow I am going to design the new shackle perches and put them in.....then it is on to finish the mini-tub and the trunk floor. Hope you liked the photo's. Bill :cheers:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i think its pretty....the welds look like you know what your doing and did you make those.....they are alot heavier then mine....great job....looking good :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BBillyC

Reaction score
I made them from 3.5" x 3.5" with 3?16 wall seamless square tubing. I have to make stuff because most parts ordered in from the states cost too much once you factor in brokerage, custom duties, taxes and shipping. these cost me $0, and my labor was $0 so I saved a bit. I worked as a welder fabricator when I was a kid so metal is not new to me, I must admit though that I am a little out of practice and my tools aren't the best, but it works out in the end.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
As soon as I saw the wall size of your new metal my thought was I hope he can weld. You show some mad skill :thumbsup:

BBillyC

Reaction score
Well I was just out looking at it and I am quite happy. The welding turned out great...I guess the skill never died, just not as pretty as it used to be when I was younger.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
the biggest problem is seeing and blowing through the light stuff....just keeping the heat on the heavier material and washing into the light stuff....its a pain but a real welder can do it like yourself....and myself.....could you imagine what it would cost to have a shop do this??....shes looking great......the mini-tubbs are fun also.....wait till the big meats go on.....oh yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks great, Bill!

I was planning on doing the same thing to my F4 /6 Duster as part of the 340 conversion. But then this primered A12 RR somehow snuck into my garage and all of my plans and finances changed...and so the 8.75" with 4.30 gears and Moser axles is shoved over in a corner, the engine is still on the stand, and the old, green Duster still does 0 to 60 in four days... :D

BBillyC

Reaction score
Well the frames aren't parallel and the stock measurements tell me that the spring alignment is, so I had to develop a way to mount the shackles offset a bit. I took Georges idea and embellished upon it. I also tied the old shackle member to the main frame rail to stiffen it. It's all tacked together and mocked up to prove alignment before final welding. I am going to weld it up this morning and begin the mini-tub. The alignment is perfectly square and parallel and from the centering pins (side to side) on the axle it is dead on. Hope you enjoy the attached photos.
shacklemount1.jpg
shacklemount3.jpg
shacklemount2.jpg
shacklemount5.jpg
shacklemount4.jpg
ready.jpg
mockup.jpg

george68hemirr

Reaction score
very nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:[attachment=1:k5qil7t7]DSC00074.JPG[/attachment:k5qil7t7][attachment=0:k5qil7t7]DSC00073.JPG[/attachment:k5qil7t7]

BBillyC

Reaction score
Thanks George. Of course I will need new shackles and bushings. In an hour or so I will get down to welding it all up and then the mini-tubs.

BBillyC

Reaction score
You betcha. Got one side of the tub welded in and the other cut out. Bitch lining it up when you're by yourself. Lots of work :hack: Cleaning up the crap on the cut out well and getting the old piece of trunk floor off was nasty. Tonight when I was welding it up I noticed I was getting low on gas real fast. The plastic line inside the hose got a nick in it and I lost about 3/4s of the tank before I noticed. Spent two hours fixing the stupid thing. Some pics.
cutout1.jpg
cutout2.jpg
downthrutop2.jpg
downthrutop.jpg
Dsidecut.jpg
xframe.jpg
aboveframe.jpg
innerwell.jpg
step1.jpg
step2.jpg

george68hemirr

Reaction score
some job.....i told you it was going to be fun.....working alone is fun too.....your almost there billy....keep plugin away :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great progress in such a short time. You certainly have my admiration. :thumbsup:

Thank goodness for Clecos...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
This is going to be a great reference for when I do my dart I don't have yet. Any one have an extra :D

BBillyC

Reaction score
I don't have an extra Dart, I would like to have one though. when this car is done I'd like to do a 68 charger my other favorite car. But this one has been a handful. Yes and thank goodness for clecos!

Back