• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter and Neutral Safety(See page 3)

CWR

Reaction score
As previously mentioned I just acquired a '69 RR. As per my mechanical fitness test I know I need a neutral safety switch. Now when I start the car sometimes( maybe half the time) the starter still engages after starting. I turn off the key and the starter still turns but the engine isn't turning over. Put the shift lever thru all gears and it stops. maybe the next time all works normally. What do I have.............. 1. problem arising from neutral safety 2. ignition switch problem, 3. starter motor problem, 4 a relay problem somewhere.
I am hoping the neutral safey switch will solve the problem. Any ideas??

Also I am wondering about a very basic question...........how do you all start your engines? What is the best procedure to start a cold engine. (Sorry to be so basic, but I'm just a beginner!!!!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Re: Starting Problem!

Two or three problems that come to mind.

First problem is a bad starter solenoid. Not common, but possible. The starter solenoid pulls the starter drive into the ring gear and makes electrical contact to engage the starter motor. It could be sticking.

Second problem could be a bad starter relay. Those do go bad, but the usual scenario is it won't work at all. I suppose it could stick.

Third, it could also be the starter/ignition switch. Again it usually doesn't work at all, but this could happen.

My money is on the starter.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score

sounds like the starter has a bad solenoid

if your timing is set right, the carb isn't messed up, and the chain is tight, nit should fire as soon as the key is turned.

fast idle a little while then go

dobie

Reaction score

Yeah, sounds like the starter to me too.

As for starting it, I usually pump the gas about 2-3 times to squirt fuel into her. Then I just crank her over. For the first few minutes I usually have to keep a little pressure on the throttle to keep the rpm's around 1700-2000. A few minutes later she's idling fine. I'll continue to let her idle for about 5 minutes or so to let her get warmed up.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

I'll agree, sounds like a bad starter.
I just hit my gas a couple times and it fires right up. I have to feather the throttle for a little while. The choke was wired open when I bought it, and it warms up quick enough I just haven't worried about hooking it up.

CWR

Reaction score

I'm going to check it out when I get my windsheild washer pump and the neutral start switch.
When the car starts normal it usually fires right up........3 good pumps of the accelerator and turn it on ....... I let it warm up a few minutes then its great............. what about starting warm?.............i just turn the key and it starts. The other issue is very erratic. I'll start with the neutral start switch because I know that is faulty. I'm new at the game.!!!

CWR

Reaction score

I believe it is the old starter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ironically it started fine today!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

yeh, but there's nothing like the sound of the gear reduction starter.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

69hemibeep said:
Basketcase said:
:thumbsup:

Gonna disagree with you two on this one; I have new mini starters on the 390 and the 340 in the Swinger and the '74 Duster. Man it's sweet when you hit that ignition switch on those two. When I jump in any of the other MoPars in the garage it's like a return to the dark ages... JMHO

Even if I were to do a by-the-book resto (not likely...) on Bambi - right down to the correct shade of green antifreeze (love that line, Big John...) per the guys on the A12 website - she's getting a mini starter when she goes back together... Why use tin cans and a string when you can use a cell phone..??? :yesnod:

:jester:
Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
Basketcase said:
:thumbsup:

Gonna disagree with you two on this one; I have new mini starters on the 390 and the 340 in the Swinger and the '74 Duster. Man it's sweet when you hit that ignition switch on those two. When I jump in any of the other MoPars in the garage it's like a return to the dark ages... JMHO

Even if I were to do a by-the-book resto (not likely...) on Bambi - right down to the correct shade of green antifreeze (love that line, Big John...) per the guys on the A12 website - she's getting a mini starter when she goes back together... Why use tin cans and a string when you can use a cell phone..??? :yesnod:

Ray
I don't care how well they work its all in the sound :jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score

69hemibeep said:
I don't care how well they work its all in the sound :jester:

Okay, but after hearing the minis I don't like that either... :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score

moparstuart said:
Basketcase said:
they look sound and are the same as a gear redution on to me ?

Mine are Power Masters, not the stockers...

Ray

Roadcuda

Reaction score

Ray[/quote]
I don't care how well they work its all in the sound :jester:[/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

moparstuart

Reaction score

Roadcuda said:

Ray
I don't care how well they work its all in the sound :jester:[/quote]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:[/quote] my 69 has headers and the old big starter , It aint broke so i havent upgraded yet . But I have mini starter on the birdible and my 69 charger . Love them work great and starts right up every time with out killing my battery . I do love the old school starters sound but love the upgrades benefits more .

CWR

Reaction score

My original problem has'nt happened in the last 25 or so starts. Maybe it just had to be used!

out for a cruise this morning , every thing fine, Starts well ( old big starter) Temp good and oil P good. Even my wife likes it. Play '69 tunes on the CD...............it doesn't get any better than this!! :cheers:

Back