• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting a new job on Feb 6.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just wanted to pass along some good news! I have accepted a full-time position at Florida Engineering Group, Inc. as a Senior Civil Engineering Technician/Designer. You can veiw their website here: http://www.feg-inc.us
I saw an ad on Craigslist last Thursday and it looked promising but they were looking for someone with experience in AutoDesk Civil 3D 2011 software. The last version I used fully was AutoDesk Land Development Desktop 2004 but I figured "why not respond with my resume?" The rest of the requirements were right up my alley.
Well, I sent my resume off, not really expecting a reply. Then, the next day (last Friday), I get a call informing me they were interested in having me come in Sat. morning at 9:00 AM for an interview! Sat. morning came and we had a great interview (at least from my perspective). I took a tour of the office and liked what I saw. They said they would let me know by early this week one way or the other.
Well, I got a call Monday (yesterday) morning and they said they wanted to make me an offer! I was somewhat shocked and surprised all at the same time! It is a really nice offer with 3 personal weeks per year (accruing after the 60 day probationary period), medical coverage split 50-50 between the company and myself, a 401k plan after 1 year of employment and a pay rate slightly more than double what I am currently making at the market! Needless to say, I accepted with great gratitude! I sure will be nice to have weekends off again! My current employer was very magnanimous i allowing me to leave my position today. Thye were very understanding of my predicament to say the least. I've been on light duty for about 4 weeks now because of inflammation in my right shoulder in the rotator cuff area so it wasn't like I was in a vital position.
Another plus is that FEG is less than 15 minutes away from my house and I can take in my own computer if I want to - and I do. Nothing against their equipment but I just like building my own system so I went out today and bought the parts needed to put a new system together. Here are the specs for you computer geeks out there:
- Diablotek case with 400 watt power supply
- AMD 1090T six core processor at 3.2 ghz (easily overclocked - or in car terms -"hotrodded" to 3.6 ghz or more).
- MSI motherboard with on-board ATI 3000 graphics - no video card needed
- 4 gb of DDR1333 ram
- Hard drive to be determined. I need to get one. probably a 250 gb SATA unit.
- CD/DVD burner with Lightscribe disc labeling capability
- Microsoft economy keyboard
- Mouse
- I-Inc 25" 1080p monitor with integrated speakers
- Win XP Pro operating system

I am due to start Mon. Feb. 6 but may start sooner than that if I can get some things out of the way. I'll need to learn the new software but I can download a trial version from AutoDesk's website and I also plan on buying some books tomorrow to get me up to speed as soon as possible. Needless to say I am stoked about getting back into the CAD game after being out of it for nearly 4 years. Things are finally looking up!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats, John! Outstanding news. I could not be happier for you. :cheers:

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Always glad to hear about someone getting a job :yesnod: :banana:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That's great news John! At least they didn't keep you wondering what was going on. I hope it works out well for you! :thumbsup:

bstan70rr

Reaction score
Hey, I do not know you except through your posts, but congratulations. I teach a high school technology class, and two of my computer labs focus on 2D and 3D CAD. I am not an expert in either of these areas by any means, but both are among my favorite subjects when the kids have questions.

I have never really met anyone that does this for a living. So, what exactly does FEG specialize in? Did they give you a heads-up on any projects? You have obviously been doing this stuff for awhile. Is there anything interesting that you have done in the past?

Good luck.

mcmopar

Reaction score
bstan70rr said:
Hey, I do not know you except through your posts, but congratulations. I teach a high school technology class, and two of my computer labs focus on 2D and 3D CAD. I am not an expert in either of these areas by any means, but both are among my favorite subjects when the kids have questions.

I have never really met anyone that does this for a living. So, what exactly does FEG specialize in? Did they give you a heads-up on any projects? You have obviously been doing this stuff for awhile. Is there anything interesting that you have done in the past?

Good luck.

FEG is a Civil Engineering/Land Development firm which specializes in commercial site plans, subdivisions and so on. I got my new computer built and installed today at the office and looked over a few sets of plans. To be honest, it looks a lot like the stuff we used to do so it should be fairly easy to adapt to their standards. I bought the book "Mastering Civil3D 2011" and downloaded a free demo version of Civil3D 2012 (the new one out now) on the computer at my remote office. It may be slightly different than the 2011 version but shouldn't be substantially so. I'm going to have to bone up on how to use the software since the last version I used was 2004, The difference between 04 and 11 is like night and day.
I've done a lot of really cool projects in the past. Two of the most memorable were the as-built topographic survey of Disney's Blizzard Beach Mountain and to construction site plans Disney's Boardwalk Hotel. I've done more commercial site plans and subdivisions that I can count since 1986 when I first started using AutoCAD. Before that we drew the plans using ink on mylar. Using our first pen plotter back in '86 was a trip. Now the plotters use inkjet technology. They are just great big inkjet printers. I have one right here beside me - an HP800C that my former boss bought back in 2004. He gave it to me when he had to let me go. It will make full color plots 42" wide x any specified length. Normally I plot on 36"x24" paper and sometimes use 30"x42" size. Most of the stuff I do is not in color, though.
Needless to say I'm getting pumped up. I have some learning to do and some personal business work to try and catch up on but I should be good to go for my 1st day on Feb 6.

bstan70rr

Reaction score
Any CAD pics of the Blizzard Beach project? The kids would think that was really cool.

We paid for a full license for AutoCad 15 years ago, and we updated about 8 years ago. But it works for an introductory course; however, i am going to look into those demo downlaods to see if they will work for the limited applications that we need.

Back