• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box Gear--Going to Install Now...

dobie

Reaction score
My current steering box has a ton of slop and play in it, and it definitely needs to be replaced. Im thinking of replacing my box with a new (re manufactured) box from Steer and Gear and hoping to pick one up at Carlisle. My question for those of you that have done so already, is what do you guys prefer? They have a standard ratio box for $475 and a quick ratio for $650. Is the quick ratio worth the extra money? Im assuming that with the quick ratio you need not turn the wheel as much to turn the car, correct?

Thanks!

:cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Steering Box Gears

Power or manual, Steve?

I guess really I can't see the need for either to be quicker ratio now that I think about it...

Yes, fewer turns lock-to-lock.

Unless you're going to take it on the slolam course you don't need a quicker box. And a manual quick ratio would be a bear to drive at low speeds...

If it is a power unit, I would definitely upgrade to a firmer feel unit just to get a better feel for the road. I did this on the Swinger. Single best improvement I made to that car...after the stroker crank... :devil:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

Have you tried adjusting the slop out of it? :nachos:

dobie

Reaction score

Sorry, its a manual box. Nothing power on my car! :jester:

No, I haven't tried to adjust anything. Didn't know you could, and no clue how to do it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

dobie said:
Sorry, its a manual box. Nothing power on my car! :jester:

No, I haven't tried to adjust anything. Didn't know you could, and no clue how to do it.
The nut and set screw on top has some adjustment and the big collar on the column end. Sometimes adjusting the top one will do it. check out the service manual.

Roadcuda

Reaction score

Steve, I replaced my power steering box from Steer and Gear last year. i had tried to adjust it but it didn't help. I got the firm feel unit from Steer and Gear It made a big difference in how the car steers. I'm not chasing it any where near as much as I did with the old unit in the car. It has a more modern feel to it, and by that I mean is that it doesn't steer as easy as the original Chrysler power steering units did, it has some resistance to it.

zupanj

Reaction score

I just replaced the manual box in my Roadrunner. I got it directly from Firm Feel. The reason I replaced the box was the slop in the wheel. I could move it a lot to either side of center while going in a straight line. In retrospect, I may have been too quick to replace the box. The car feels much better to steer but the straight line slop is still there. The shop who did the work will look at it and see if they can diagnose the issue. I now suspect the slop is in the tie rod ends but I will let the guys with more experience tell me. The Firm Feel guys are great, they told me they will make sure I am happy before we are finished.

dobie

Reaction score

Thanks for the help guys. Mine has a ton of play in it, and I had been told awhile back that it needed rebuilt. I've been putting it on the back burner for a couple of years, but since she's on the road now, it seems like I should be getting it replaced somewhat soon.

Roadcuda

Reaction score

Besides checking the tie rod ends you may also want to check the idler arms and make sure they are tight. I had a bad one on my bird and replacing it did help the steering.

dobie

Reaction score

OK. Thanks. I'll check those as well then.

moparchris

Reaction score

I used to adjust them daily at work when I was a mechanic, before I got rich drilling for oil that is but I digress. The adjustment is a touchy thing its easy to tighten it to where its tight in a straight line but it will bind when you leave center. The gears in the box get worn in the center because the car sees straight line most. You can buy the gears from a few different places and replace them your self. Adjusting the box rarely works.

dobie

Reaction score

OK. Thanks. I'm sure they'll have a few at Carlisle.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score

The pitman is usually trashed and is expensive. It is not in front end kits, so I think people tend to not replace them when they should.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

dobie said:

I would not make that assumption...if you want to get one I would call them now and tell them to earmark one for you... :cents:

dobie

Reaction score

ACME A12 said:
dobie said:

I would not make that assumption...if you want to get one I would call them now and tell them to earmark one for you... :cents:

Ok. Thanks. I'll do that.

**update**

They'll have one waiting for me...

Thanks.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score

and you know what happens when you assume.........

Back