• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STILL having engine problems HELP!!

quikbird

Reaction score
I have had troubles with the hydraulic roller lifters from comp as well. I think there are two sets on the shelf that I have replaced. they also changed the height of the lifter several years ago which meant another set of pushrods.

Collin

Reaction score
The style cup they went to didn’t accept the push rod ball end we had. Went with a new set with the recommended head we will see how that plays out.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That is the same problem we had with the 440. After milling head's and the intake. We had to egg shape the holes on the intake. Not much mind you but enough so they would not bind. We did the double gasket thing on a in take and it was more of a driver than racer and it did not give us any trouble. But think the racing motor got hotter and that type of fix only worked for a while. So hope you get it worked out my friend.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
takes into account the opening and closing of valves to give a more real world number instead of using only the bore, stroke, and chamber size.
takes into account the opening and closing of valves to give a more real world number instead of using only the bore, stroke, and chamber size.
Thanks Mac. I just want to make sure I got this. I'm guessing that the compression would be slightly lower depending on how long it takes the valves to open and close?

BOB KAMMER

1969 Road Runner
Reaction score
We have had this happen many times over the years,Comp cams has very good products,but I believe there is only a few lifter manufactures,everybody just puts them in there packaging-years ago we lost about 2Mopar cams a year now we lose about 8
I believe this is a over the seas products-you might find you still have lifter problems-the lifer cap will stick in the lifter housing-we try to put
solid roller on all are cams-yes you can change many hyd rollers to solid roller cams-call the manufacture first

mrmoparbb

Reaction score
Run initial timing 15-20 rest in by 2500 disconnect vacuum advance.

Collin

Reaction score
questions:
vacuum at idle ?
choke staying open ?
engine at temp when problems occur ?
what plug are you running?
are you using vacuum advance ?
what is your dynamic compression ratio?

@mac what do you think of the dynamic compression? pump gas or race fuel?

mac

What ?
Reaction score
from what i am reading a dynamic compression ratio that you stated (9.16 to 1) would have to have race gas. a ratio between 7.5 and 8.5 works well for the street and premium gas.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
my 500 inch stroker came out to be a DCR of 7.73 to 1 and works well with 93 octane. static compression ratio is 10.09 to 1. what is your static compression ratio? running open chamber steel heads with high compression is going to be tough.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
have to find a good online calculator and have all of your engine specs and cam specs. takes into account the valve opening and closing events.

Collin

Reaction score
my 500 inch stroker came out to be a DCR of 7.73 to 1 and works well with 93 octane. static compression ratio is 10.09 to 1. what is your static compression ratio? running open chamber steel heads with high compression is going to be tough.

@mac 10.1:1 static. The engine shop knew it was on the edge of pump gas but thought they could accomplish it with the work to the heads and intake.

Last edited:

Collin

Reaction score
what cam and valve train are you running?

@mac
Comp Cams XR280HR-10 installed at 0 degrees.
Lift .541"/.537"
Duration 280/288
Lobe Separation Angle: 110°
RPM Range 2200-6000

Comp single springs and stock valves. Single groove valves. Comp adjustable rocker shaft.

Last edited:

Collin

Reaction score
Update:

Voltage regulator shorted against its cover, try #2 didn’t work right, new digital regulator holds a steady 13.5v

Indian Head shellac has sealed that intake tight, no leaks, no pops

Down to just tuning the carb and maybe adding some race gas to boost the octane

Collin

Reaction score
It’s unfortunate that some of these OEM reproduction looking parts that I was after just suck! They looked amazing but if they don’t work what’s the point

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Some part's are interchangeable from truck's to car's. Found my door latch pieces on line for the runner. They are the same. Mine had groves in them from the door latch going in and out over the year's. So it might be that Napa or another company would have parts for dodge truck's that would work in the engine bay. Good luck glad you got the intake taken care of.

Back