• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock rear leafs on a 70 RR.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their worn out 50yr.old rear leaf springs for new factory replacement springs and if so did the ride height in the rear come up a little...i would think it would with fresh spring in it. Thanks!

HD539

Reaction score
Yes, contact ESPO springs, tell them what you’re wanting and I’m sure they can get you set up.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Brand new stock springs will set level or a tad low that's how the cars came from the factory so request a lift if that is what you want.

woodwiz

Reaction score
They already are a tad flat,they may have been replaced at quote restoration time 16yrs. ago. But are it spongy. Would like a 1-2” raise without the air shock idea. It’s not life and death, if I lower my 26-1/4” front end height it will make the back appear taller…maybe?

woodwiz

Reaction score
No,just flat at the axle U-bolt area.Took a measurement at the rear center of wheel from ground to fender lip and have a 23-1/2" on the drivers side and a 1/4-3/4" difference on the passenger side. The fronts are both 26-1/2".
Just looking for 1-2" lift in the rear.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Is their such a thing as a lift block 1-2" that would lift it like the 4x4 boys do? Or why go to that when i'd already have it apart and just get new springs?

nevada dan

Reaction score
A1DF414B-E2C8-451E-88D0-2346F795973E.png 299BCF11-FC6E-4D39-A5E0-EE294B201122.png I don’t know if they been replaced before I got the car but mine have 5 leaf on both sides and I run N50 15’s with regular shocks, no air shocks, I think its the same platform as the 70 just redesigned quarters

woodwiz

Reaction score
Looks sweet…big fan of your color. As for the height at the rear, it might be somewhat of an elusion because of that very difference in the wheel well openings front and rear. Don’t want to break the bank on raising it 1-2” with new springs,but it could probably use a refresh at some point anyway. Never have been a fan of taking a old muscle car and slamming it down like the newer examples.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
6 leaf both sides. If you buy block's then need new U bolt's. Better off to get new spring 's and be done with it. Here is a picture of my 2 1/2 recurve's I like the stance they give the car. You can get them in 2 inch recurve also. Here is the height on the rear wheel's. Car was not loaded at the time so it has gone down some with the motor and all in the car. IMG_0101.JPG

woodwiz

Reaction score
I'm looking at a set of rear leaf springs from ESPO and it appears they know their springs. For a refreshed ride with a 1-2" lift 6-leaf=$370w/shipping. Not bad! Chrysler dealer here in Tucson has Mopar springs 6leaf drivers and 7leaf psgr. $169 apiece.
Now that being said,have any of you 70 roadrunner guys got any expierience with better ride height and if so what were your results with your spring choice??
Thanks in advance!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Here’s some shots of the 70 Roadrunner leaf springs l&r and fwd & rear of the axle. Count 4leafs aft of the axle and 5 fwd of the axle. That 5th leaf appears to begin at the axle and show fwd. Someone hear said they are technically 4-1/2 leafs. So would an actual 5 spring be more supportive and slightly higher or is the 6 leaf gonna get the job done. More than likely the car is not going to get street dragged or launched at every stoplight so I don’t think there’s a need for the 6-leaf driver side and 7-leaf psgr side for big torque.
Thoughts???

woodwiz

Reaction score
Just placed a order with Summit Racing for a set of Mopar HD springs for the RR.Even if for some reason they sit right where these old ones sit i'm better off having fresh steel under the rear.I think there's a chance they might ride a tad higher than stock and thats ok too. Plus the price was right and no shipping delays as of today. I'l post an update when they are installed.

woodwiz

Reaction score
I just recieved the Mopar rear leafs (MIM) they are the leafs with 6 drivers side and 7 psgr. side that torque thing. My question is has anyone else run this combo on their 70RR and what did you think? Pics soon!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Do they have more curve than your old one's???? After getting my car on the road for 25 miles. The six leaf 2 1/2 inch recurve rides good. Not as stiff as I thought it would be. Full tank of gas and it did not crouch any. It rides good. Wish you the best with those new spring's you should be happy after you get to drive it. Those tired old spring's have no spring left in them. Latter woodwiz ----- Russ.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Those are hemi springs they work great but they most likely won't raise the rear of the car. They will settle down to the stock ride height.

woodwiz

Reaction score
You guys know more than me,but the ride should be pretty solid after 50 yrs.and if I get an 1” or 2” lift that’s a bonus. It’s interesting how the drivers side 6leaf would not ride lower to the psgr.side 7leaf. Here’s the pre-install pics on the bench,Oh did I say it was 113*degrees in the garage today. I can’t even touch the springs.

709C501C-C3BB-427F-88F8-2BBA064F04AF.jpeg

2520E7FF-4521-4925-B102-BD742DACE37A.jpeg

0379A59D-62A6-4CA5-939D-50EAC3A727E1.jpeg

Back