• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Straightening the steering wheel

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Take a screw driver and slip it under the left side of the bird or center button and pry it out. That will expose the first bolt. There is a tab on the right side so don't go there!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Screw under the center piece.

But... You won't straighten the wheel that way. There is a master spline on the shaft that keeps you from rotating the wheel on the spline. You'll have to adjust the tie rods to straighten the wheel.

Loosen the clamps on the links between the tie rod ends. Twist one Clockwise and the other Counter Clockwise, makng sure you do it equally. Double check the toe in with a tape measure when you're done.

droptop

Reaction score
Big John said:

But... You won't straighten the wheel that way. There is a master spline on the shaft that keeps you from rotating the wheel on the spline. You'll have to adjust the tie rods to straighten the wheel.

Loosen the clamps on the links between the tie rod ends. Twist one Clockwise and the other Counter Clockwise, makng sure you do it equally. Double check the toe in with a tape measure when you're done.

:yesnod:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The wheel has a blind spine it only fits one way, I thought you had a bent horn ring or wheel. If its crooked as you drive its in the tie rods as John said!

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Very interesting, good thing I asked first. Maybe this is unrelated, but what would cause the left turn signal "cancel" not to work? I thought it was due to the wheel being off but maybe something is broken? I'm referring to the lever on the left side of the steering column- it clicks only when signalling right. Thanks.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
Very interesting, good thing I asked first. Maybe this is unrelated, but what would cause the left turn signal "cancel" not to work? I thought it was due to the wheel being off but maybe something is broken? I'm referring to the lever on the left side of the steering column- it clicks only when signalling right. Thanks.

This is probably broken:
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbsh ... cat=1&trk=

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
6R9Runner said:

This is probably broken:
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbsh ... cat=1&trk=

Bingo. The canceling tab is broken and you need to replace the harness. I did it myself shortly after getting the car. It wasn't too hard to do.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
The wheel has a blind spine it only fits one way,quote]

don't be too sure of that.........never know what you'll find on an old car.....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
Does this look like the part I need? Dorman 49305

rnb-49305_w.jpg
Good luck with the repair kit I never had any luck with them. The switch and harness can be had on E-bay for about $100. Don't buy the one from Mr. Mopar in AZ they are junk. ask me how I know :toetap:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
In frugal vs. sure thing, frugal won again. Summit has the cam for $10.95. Thanks for the help.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
6R9Runner said:
In frugal vs. sure thing, frugal won again. Summit has the cam for $10.95. Thanks for the help.
i'm amazed cheapo bob spent the 100.00 bucks
I tried the $10.95 route first so I was into it $110.95 :lol: :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
69hemibeep said:
I tried the $10.95 route first so I was into it $110.95 :lol: :lol:
If the cheapo route doesn't work then I'll just try to avoid lefthand turns... :stooges:
No, if the cheapo doesn't work none of your lights work let alone return :lol:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Big John said:

Here is my lazy-man solution- grind off the master, thus allowing the spline to locate anywhere! Now the wheel is straight. Turns out the cancel cam is more of a hassle.

DSC00866.jpg

6R9Runner

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
No, if the cheapo doesn't work none of your lights work let alone return :lol:
Now I know what you mean, the Dorman was not exactly right. Fortunately the original came out without breaking everything else, and I found the right style cancel cam for 9.99 so I have only blown 25 bucks so far...

Back