• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Straightening the steering wheel

6R9Runner

Reaction score
...the 1970-76 style cam was right for me :huh:, vansauto had the right one, p/n SM16 . With the wheel being so far off-center, I guess the old cam got wiped out by the return stud on the wheel.
Order in the universe has been restored. :drive:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
That's good to here, can we hijack your thread now :jester:
Is this something new Bob, asking to hijack a thread? I don't think anyone has ever asked permission before!!! :lol:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
That's good to here, can we hijack your thread now :jester:
2 or 3 posts ago it would have been a hijack. Now you are merely borrowing, or "sponging" off this thread. :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like this might be a good point at which to bring up "The World Is Not Flat" starters again... :lmao:

:jester:
ACME

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
"when I'm siting in my road runner, listening to the Chrysler Gear Reduction starter crank over 383 cubic inches of Chrysler Big Block, I can see Mopar Chris leaving his house since there's nothing like hills of mountains in the way"

moparchris

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
"when I'm siting in my road runner, listening to the Chrysler Gear Reduction starter crank over 383 cubic inches of Chrysler Big Block, I can see Mopar Chris leaving his house since there's nothing like hills of mountains in the way"

From a trailer. :lol:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Here's a funny one, I put the wheel back on a few weeks ago, the signal cancel worked great, so i took the car for a test drive Saturday morn. Backed it out, turning the wheel left at the bottom of the drive. Horn goes off. So I fiddle with the horn button, while at the same time shifting to 1st, getting the car over to the side of the road. etc. Horn still blaring. It was one of those moments where your brain kicks into overdrive. LOUD beep beep horn/ neighbors staring/ smelly-loud muscle car/ no power steering/ shifting from rev to first, you get the picture. I kill the engine, jump out, horn still blaring, pop the hood and pull out the wirefrom the relay. Sweet silence.
Drive car back into garage, thinking its the relay i take it apart, clean it up, plug the wire in, everything seems fine in the garage. So I back it out again, turning the wheel, SAME THING OVER AGAIN. feeling likea dipsh!t now, this time I'm much quicker to jump out etc.
This time i figure its the horn button, so all that comes off, I inspect it, check the wire, maybe its shorting out, maybe the horn button is crooked, etc. It all goes back together, the day is f'd.
3rd test drive (the following week) Now comes the test- back it out, no problems. PROBLEM SOLVED...until I get all the way through town to the hardware store with my 11-yr-old riding shotgun. A few people comment on my car, really nice etc. I'm feeling like THE MAN. Some dude wants to hear it fire up, the birds are singing. Leaving the store, I back out, wheel turning right. no issues. Shift to first, crank the wheel left, horn goes off. Eyeballs on me now (WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH THIS NUT, OK HE'S GOT A ROADRUNNER, WE GET THE PICTURE, YOU CAN STOP HONKING IDIOT.) I take off, trying to get away, there's a hill on theway back home, i can't stop the car for fear of getting run over by my own car if i jump out to pop the hood. my son is asking questions, i'm in no mood for answers, I get to the bottom of the hill, road is level, shut off the engine, leave it in gear just in case the car rolls, jump out, pop the hood and pull the wire agan. Sweet silence. TO BE CONTINUED

6R9Runner

Reaction score
:blah: :blah: :blah: HOLY COW THAT'S A LONG STORY. (It's early and i can't speel. aleep. sleep).
HERE'S WHAT CAUSED ALL THIS: When i pulled the wheel the first time, I ran the steering wheel puller jack screws too far into the wheel, breaking the insulation at the bottom of the holes. You can actually see it in the picture a few posts back. Not realizing it at the time, but now its obvious, that insulation keeps the copper ring at the base of the wheel from making electrical contact with the spline/ steering shaft. i had broken the insulation in a spot where, whe nthe wheel was turned LEFT, the spring-loaded post in the steering column applied enough force to push on the copper ring and make contact, BINGO, horn goes off.
My apologies for this rambling post, it seems pretty slow at this time of the year, just thought i'd write a bedtime story. Finally the sleeping pills are kicking i....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
so that's what caused that! that happened on my other car, but the horn wouldn't stay on, just blow anytime I turned left. I had to pull the whel a short time later and musta not got the wheel back on as tight cause it quit.
now just imagine how fun your story woulda been if you had a lift off hood..... :D

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I'll just make sure I never pull my wheel off! :lol: That's just another one of the nasty electrical problems that bug the sh!t our of you and take forever to find and often turn out to a simple fix.

Back