• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sucking gas out????

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
IIRC, there is a gap in the tank/straps, at least untill the tank gets the weight of the gas in it.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
That sending unit thing is ALMOST as scary as the deal I found on my old 71 Cuda

Somebody put a WRONG sized barb on the fuel pump. Even better it was on the OUTLET side of the pump. I have no idea how the line didn't blow right off the pump, and shower the headers with gas.

I'm very blessed that I checked that car over before I did any serious driving in it.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I think I have seen a tiny gap at the corners of the straps on pretty much every car I have had, but I can't say I have looked at that particular thing in a few years.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I think a full tank run it down and check the straps again should do it. Somcarguy you are lucky. I lost a 38' gulfstream motorhome to a gas leak, what can I say it was a Ford chassis.Flaming smilie needed here :jester:

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Oh man, I walked into the paint shop I use one day and the 56 Buick convertible they were working on had caught fire and the back half burnt up! The car was pristine, they were doing interior work on it and apparently the tank had a leak in it and spark ignited it. Fortunately the sprinkler system works well in their shop!!!! It put out the fire quick enough that they're able to restore the car.

Back