The back window quest goes on.

Body, Interior and Trim

1. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    So here is some pic's of the new glass I got. Dose not fit. Too high on the sides and the bottom corners are turned up too much. So their trying again to get it done. Said they will adjust it.

IMG_0102 (2).JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

1968 man likes this.
  2. RGAZ

RGAZ Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Adjust it? How do you adjust it? Do you mean they are making you a new one?

Russ69Runner likes this.
  3. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Yes the only way to correct their mistakes. Hope they get it rite this time. I took an original one marked out where I wanted it shorter on the edges. Then it will fit nicely.

Big Mo and 1968 man like this.
  4. Big Mo

Big Mo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Russ you just can't get a break on this window. Sure hope next one works.

1968 man and Russ69Runner like this.
  5. WWheeler

WWheeler Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2019
    Russ,

I did try my rear window glass on my '70 RR this weekend. The glass is from ECS. To recall, I have replaced the roof skin, both quarters (factory style) and the Dutchman panel. So everything around the glass has been replaced. I have an install kit that has (4) rubber blocks and the black goo seal strip. So where to begin......

Like you, I find that the part near the lower corners dips down too much and almost hits the metal. Like less than 1/32"!!! But my corners don't flare up as much as yours. So what I am going to do is use rubber pads cut from a rubber sheet to shim the glass around the perimeter. I have several different thicknesses of sheet I will use to ensure that none of the glass will be touching the metal frame and also hopefully maintain an even height for the trim. Then with the rubber pads in place, I will use the goo to seal the glass to the frame. I don't really trust the goo to be able to hold the glass in place considering how close it is to the metal.

You can buy EPDM rubber sheet from McMaster Carr. If you don't know about them, you should. It is like a candy store for me. https://www.mcmaster.com/

I will keep you up to date with how things are proceeding. While I am sorry you have been put through the wringer on this, you sure saved my ass by bringing the topic up.

6. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Thanks for the info WWheeler. Hope it all work's out ok for you. I am still waiting on the glass company to get me the other glass done. Maybe this will be good and can get over it. Did you put it in with the trim clip's in. One company told me to loose the clips and glue the trim on. But don't like the Idea. Because of expansion and contraction with the metal. Yes keep me up on the progress. Good luck buddy. Russ.

7. ACME A12

ACME A12 Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator Staff Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Agreed. That's a good way to likely bend up the trim if you ever have to take it back off. Someone had forced a ton of sealant up under mine due to a leak at some point. Made it a freaking nightmare to get the trim off without destroying it. There's a correct way to do things and then there is shit like that...

Russ69Runner likes this.
  8. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    5/16 butyl rope is all you need. 3M comes with rubber blocks. 3/8 if you think its needed. Then roll it out into the sun.

Russ69Runner likes this.
  9. WWheeler

Mar 7, 2019
    I did not install the clips but will for sure. I have already made sure the trim fits the opening without the usual misalignment. The clips should not be a problem as long as there is enough space between the glass and the metal which there is (or will be).

I am sure if the glass is made correctly and the metal is as from the factory, the glass would only need the seal kit. But as I mentioned, I have replaced all the metal around the back glass. So maybe it is not quite as good as the factory and why I am making sure the glass does not rub on metal by using rubber pads where needed. Better safe than sorry.

Russ69Runner likes this.
  10. john visconti

john visconti Well-Known Member

May 4, 2019
    you can take the trim on and off you just need to be carful

Russ69Runner likes this.
  11. dmartin

dmartin Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Hope you have the right thickness of clips I got burned on my first set they were to thick could not get them to move enough to snap the trim in place But all is good now

Big Mo, 1968 man and Russ69Runner like this.
  12. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    Yep allot of the after market clips are to thick and powder coated to boot

13. moparchris

moparchris Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    This is an easy fix. First you take a factory glass and set it in place and mark where it hits. Second you take a cut off wheel and cut the quarters and roof skin to match the factory window. Then you repaint the affected areas. Dose that sound rite?

14. 1968 man

1968 man Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    I had trouble with my after market clips also, after installing the glass ,my clips where to stiff to allow the chrome trim to snap on. So out comes the glass, clean everything up , install different clips and reinstall glass snapped on the chrome and problem solved. Boy I didn’t won’t to remove that glass but I had to do what I had to do.

Big Mo and Russ69Runner like this.
  15. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Don't think I have not thought of that one for sure.

Big Mo likes this.
  16. WWheeler

Mar 7, 2019
    Where did you buy the clips that worked? I am worried mine are too stiff as well.

Thanks.

17. 1968 man

1968 man Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Classic I think, I will pull the invoice and see.

18. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Year one has the stainless steel ones but are out of them rite now. They are thinner. Some have suggested to go this route to me.

19. WWheeler

Mar 7, 2019
    I think the ones I have are from AMK now. Any comment on those?

Russ69Runner likes this.
  20. RAINMANYEH

RAINMANYEH Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2015
    At this point it might be easier to find an old dilapidated RR in bone yard somewhere that is too far gone to restore, but still has a rear window. Dayumn...

V.R.D likes this.