• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The mad electric article and seriously considering it

sam z

Reaction score
If I'm revisiting a previous post let me know. I saw it mentioned but not discussed at length.
The link is this: http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

I've read this page many times, and a lot of commentary on other boards surrounding it as well
as ammeter issues, bulkhead meltdowns, and worse.

Anybody pursued this yet as illustrated in the link? If not, why not? It seems like a proactive,
common sense approach if long term ownership of a car is the goal. I find electrical work
downright confusing, but this seems fairly straightforward and I have an old timer that I believe
can assist me with the process.

I'd be interested in reading any comments on this.

Ranger

Reaction score
I have not done it.................yet. I have heard both pros and cons on it. Some say it's a must do and others say no need to worry. No problems so far (47 years, 90K and counting). I have pulled the bulk head connectors and cleaned them, though they looked clean and tight with no heat distortion. I guess I haven't been convinced that it is that critical yet, but I'll be watching the comments.

stevo

Reaction score
thats the thing I was told with this mod.
my mopar guru sez keep it clean and sung and you will not have a problem, this guy is a class A mechanic.
on the other hand my buddy with a 67 Charger had a fire because of the amp meter.
I love working on my car, to a point.
like I mentioned I did the mod and i sleep better at night.
I also have a battery tender going during the week.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
The only thing I disagree with in the mad article is passing straight wire through the bulkhead connector. I would make it look factory with a connector to connector connection not hollow out the space and run a wire through.

stevo

Reaction score
back in the day, the owners/connectors where part of the problem.
The connectors would be neglected and rust.
I see your point though, anyone today with a old Mopar would clean then grease the connectors.

Ranger

Reaction score
back in the day, the owners/connectors where part of the problem.
The connectors would be neglected and rust.
I see your point though, anyone today with a old Mopar would clean then grease the connectors.
Your post got me thinking and was a good wake up. Just to be 100% sure, I went out and pulled the bulkhead connectors this morning. As I previously said, they where clean and rust free, but dry, so I brushed them down and blew 'em out with compressed air and then brushed the spades and packed the cavities with Di-Electric grease. :thumbsup:

stevo

Reaction score
Nice, around here there is a place called Krown. they do rust protection
they sell the spray, it works great and its Di-Electric too!

Rocket

Reaction score
I did the MAD wire mod and it worked out great for me. I can see where the correct guys might have an issue with it but for my driver it made sense

ykf7b0

Reaction score
I did the Mad Electrical upgrade and followed the instructions to the letter. My benefit was increased voltage at idle resulting in brighter headlights.

Back