• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

these made me think of Dobie

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those were great! :cheers:

Some beautiful German Shepherds in there... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:jester:

Jim S.

Reaction score
I am going to write a paragraph. Some of you guys won't like it but, I don't care.
As some of you know I am a ham radio operator and a electronic freak.
Because of that I own a police scanner (GRE PSR-800). I know that doesn't
mean much but, it is the latest and greatest.
There are so many times I am listening to the police, that the dogs save the
day. It is absolutely incredible. One example:
Just recently some dirtballs were stealing copper from the roof of a business.
One squad spotted them and called for backup. Before the other squads got
there, the creeps made it to the ground and took off running. Well the Police
(thank you Dobie) set up a perimeter 1/2 mile around the business. The key
holder of the business was called, and he arrived in about ten mins.
Then came the canine squads. They brought two dogs up to the roof where
they last seen the two losers. After the dogs got the scent from the roof, it
took about 15 minutes before both of the Obama supporters were apprehended.
One in some bushes, the other in someone's garage. One incident. There have
probably been over a hundred in the last year that dogs have nailed the perps,
and that is only what I have heard. Just recently, a BM (Black Male)
( bet you thought "baptist minister") decided to run from a Police dog.
He made it about 1/4 of a block. The officer called in a code four (meaning
everything is O.K. and suspect is in custody) but, he also requested a
ambulance code two. The dispatcher asked if this was a canine wound?
The officer replied "oh yeah". Great, I love it. God bless the Police dogs.
Maybe I should not even say this but, something that hinders the dogs is rain. It
also usually stops the helicopter from going up. So if you are going to steal some
copper (because you got kicked out of the plasma donation center) do it in the rain.

dobie

Reaction score
Dogs are great in my work. We haven't had any for about 5 yrs now, but that should be changing within the next 6 months or so. (Another story for another day.)

Rain does impede them somewhat, although I've been involved in several successful tracks in the rain. If you have a handler that doesn't mind getting a little wet, its always worth it to try. Some dogs just won't give up till they get to chew on some tissue for a few seconds!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great story, Jim. I know I enjoyed it. :cheers:

I'm really not ashamed that I got caught napping with my favorite German Shepherd...she's probably the most noble creature I've ever known. Although I do question Mrs. ACME's allegences for passing that on so that I might be tormented on here... :lol:

Unfortunately Miss Leyna is having some neurological issues. She can no longer feel her right rear leg so she's gimpy and wobbly - sometimes loses her footing because her leg just slides out from under her or trips her up. The Vet thinks it might be Degenerative Myelopathy (also called DM or progressive rear limb weakness or paralysis) but unfortunately there is no definitive test or treatment. It is similar to Multiple Sclerosis in humans. We just have to keep her well exercised so that leg doesn't atrophy. It hasn't affected her disposition at all and she still wants to play ball 24/7 so we just soldier on... I just keep hoping it doesn't get any worse so I'm not faced with one of those decisions that defines your ability to separate your needs from theirs...she'll only be 8 years old on Christmas Eve and I'm just not ready for any of that...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Jim that was a great story. I sure wouldn't want a Dog hot after me.
Ray sorry to heart that. we had to put the wife's Besingi down last year. They get a spine issue around 8 years that pretty much disables they're back end.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
No problem here Jim, those were great stories. And if some idiot who was causing trouble gets bit that's his problem for being dumb. Ray, sorry to hear about your 4 legged friend. No matter what kind of pet you have you do get very attached to them as they are always there for you, no matter what kind of mood you might be in they will still want to be with you. I don't look forward to the day that I may have to make that decision when it comes for my cat! It will not be a pleasant day.

Back