• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing cover and oil pan come off

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I got the timing cover off. The chain was very loose and doesn't look like it had ever been replaced as far as I could tell. The bottom gear is stuck on the crank. :toetap: I think I remember seeing a timing gear remover at Autozone...

Then I got the oil pan off and discovered that someone had stuck a windage tray in there, which to my understanding did not come standard on 383's or 400's. So someone else had had their hands under there at one point. Any ideas on how to get the oil tube off? I don't want to use pliers that might crush the pipe.

I did notice that someone had already taken the time to stamp 1,2,3, etc on to the rods. One less thing I have to do. :D

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Also... as you can see in the first pic, the stupid oil filter refuses to come off. :brickwall: Are there any tricks to getting this thing off?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The rods and caps are stamped at the factory :thumbsup: , the crank gear should slide off unless some varnish or rust got at it. A couple of screw drivers under each side and just a little pressure should free it, if not find a puller. If you cant pull the dipstick tube by hand I dont know of a nice way to remove it some one else might have an idea. The oil filter, I have had to drive a long screw driver through them for leverage if a filter wrench wont work :cheers:

dobie

Reaction score
Looks good. The screwdriver thru the oil filter trick works pretty good.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The screwdriver through the filter is the method I have used too. Just don't kill yourself taking the oil filter off if you intend to put a new oil pump on the engine anyway.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I agre about the oil pump. If you're gonna rebuild the engine, get a new hi volume pump. as far as the dipstick tube(or did you mean the pick up tube?) hit the dipstick tube with the PB. GENTLY tap a wide flat screwdriver under the lip, while wiggling the tube. If worse comes to, I do believe Y1 has new tubes for undr $30? and check the screen in the bottom of the pick up tube, it's probably full of the nylon that used to be on the cam gear.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I was referring to the pick up tube there in the pics. It's slippery with oil and is stuck right where it is. As far as the oil pump, I may end up replacing that anyway. But I wanted to try to get the filter off anyway, just in case there's some odd reason I can't get a new one or whatever.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Screw driver works great. Do not rebuild the engine and not put a new oil pump on it.......Way too cheap to leave the old one on.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well the pick up tube should be stout enough to use a small pipe wrench on it. hit it with the PB Blaster, and let it sit overnight.

droptop

Reaction score
I am sure that the 335 HP 383's had a windage tray. The oil pickup should unscrew. The best way to get the oil filter off is to unbolt the oil pump and chuck it all in the trash. :lol:

John69RR

Reaction score
Droptop, I believe you're right about the windage tray. I thought it was standard equipment.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I'll have to write that dude who wrote "How to rebulid big block Mopars" and ask him why they printed that 383's didn't come with windage trays. I was seriously like "wow, someone musta stuck this here!" when I discovered my 383 has one.

martin69rr

Reaction score
The standard 383 did not have one it only came with the HP and the rest of the 440 stuff so the book could be right.

Back