• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Gear Oil

Ranger

Reaction score
Well, I went with the FSM recommended 140. Just finished. Boy that stuff does flow like molasses in January. We'll, see how it goes.

Ranger

Reaction score
Update:
Gear clash in all gears when cold with the 140. It's coming out. Guess I'll go with a 90 or an 85/90 if I can find it in GL4.

Ranger

Reaction score
Just about 4 (1 gallon).
I have found a 75w/90 in GL4 (MT90 75w90) but it's pretty pricey.

quikbird

Reaction score
I use the lucas gear oil and get it at advance. not too bad on price. seems to do a good job. stuff is the absolute smelliest and nastiest stuff around. almost plan on just throwing out whatever clothes you are wearing for changeover

CompSyn

Reaction score
Update:
Gear clash in all gears when cold with the 140. It's coming out. Guess I'll go with a 90 or an 85/90 if I can find it in GL4.

SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 - LINK
MTG.jpg

"Quick Shifts & Excellent Protection in Hot Rods and Muscle Cars: Synthetic Manual Transmission Gear Lube's friction-modified formula and excellent cold-flow properties promote smooth, fast engagement of synchronizers and gears. It protects against wear caused by the high-horsepower, large-displacement engines common to hot rods and muscle cars. It is formulated with seal conditioners to reduce leaks."

MTG.jpg

Ranger

Reaction score
This is what I bought (from Napa).

Sta-Lube SL24239 API/GL-4 Multi-Purpose Hypoid Gear Oil
23306.jpg

Ranger

Reaction score
Drained the 140 and installed the 85W90. Still has a slight clash from 1st to 2nd, but it always did when cold. I suspect a little wear on the synchronizer ring. Smooth once warmed up. For future reference, 90 is the way to go.

Coyote

Reaction score
I've always used Lucas in normal manuals AND posi type rear ends. No additional supplement is supposed to be needed. Tremecs take ATF! The oil passages internally are to small to flow gearlube.

Back