• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Battery Cable Routing??

RRDon

Reaction score
I'm routing the battery cable from the trunk to the starter on my 68 Road Runner 383 four speed. I ran it from the trunk along the driver's side (inside) following the wiring harness for the tail lights.

Everything was going well until I got to the firewall. Hmmm, not sure where to run it through. I could use the speed-o-meter cable hole but then what to do with that cable. Things look really tight in that area and I’m not keen about drilling another hole somewhere in the firewall. But I don’t see any way around it. It’s not a numbers matching car so drilling another hole wouldn’t be the end of the world but where? Not a lot of options in that exact area and I don't have a lot of extra cable length to reroute it very far.

My question is for those who have done this before, what did you guys do and where did you find worked best. Also what should I avoid or be aware of (other than making sure the battery cable is protected and can’t rub or short out anywhere).
RR in garage side view.jpg
Any advice and info would be most appreciated. Thanks guys. RR Don

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
That would be my thought. Would not want to put lager holes into the fire wall. Know it is not cheap as far as the cable goes. I bought welding cable to run to the back of my ford F350 for a winch at the rear and about had a hart attack at the price. The front of the trunk pan had some large holes or the drop down has an inspection hole so you should not have to drill or cut any holes in it. Figure you can adapt the body plug for the wires. 3M liquid tape from Lowes is a good sealer. Brush on and let dry. Or should be able to route through the frame rail hole and up through another trunk pan plug. Well hope this will help ya out. Russ.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
You can barrow my 357 magnum. Got a friend that a woman complained about her trunk filling with water. He took a 38 and shot a hole in it and out went the water. I said good thing you did not hit the gas tank. :poke: PS. Nice looking Runner so why put the battery in the trunk. Think the acid fumes will eat that area up every thing. Russ.

Back