• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voltage Limiter upgrade

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I didn't do it but RPM sells a solid state plug in unit which I'm sure is the same thing for $70. I'm sure you can do it for much less if you have time to build one.

John69RR

Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen them now for $35.00 from one of the decal places. Someone had them for $50.00 now the price is coming down.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Yes I replaced the old regulator with a 7805 with a heatsink. One thing they don't mention is, that when a 7805 goes, it usually shorts out. That will fry your gauges. Good insurance is to add a 2 amp inline fuse on the output of the 7805. Or as said, buy the pre-made ones as they are output protected...

John69RR

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Yes I replaced the old regulator with a 7805 with a heatsink. One thing they don't mention is, that when a 7805 goes, it usually shorts out. That will fry your gauges. Good insurance is to add a 2 amp inline fuse on the output of the 7805. Or as said, buy the pre-made ones as they are output protected...

Thats reason enough for me to buy the solid state replacement. Thanks.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
From the looks of the ad picture it looks to be a plug in piece. Is that the case? I couldn't find any info on changing one out in the reference books. And if it is a plug in, could it be done without pulling the gauge cluster out of the car? This seems like a good thing to change out.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
From the looks of the ad picture it looks to be a plug in piece. Is that the case? I couldn't find any info on changing one out in the reference books. And if it is a plug in, could it be done without pulling the gauge cluster out of the car? This seems like a good thing to change out.

You should be able to reach up behind the dash and pull the old one out and plug the new one in. I would disconnect the battery first though.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Big John said:
Roadcuda said:

You should be able to reach up behind the dash and pull the old one out and plug the new one in. I would disconnect the battery first though.
Thanks John, and yeah, disconnecting the battery would be a given!

meepbeep69

Reaction score
I was polishing up the lens with some tooth paste and noticed this topic

While it is apart and easy to do is this another thing I guess I need?

What about the condenser looking thing attached to this? Can that stay or does it have to go?

Back