• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

voltage reg question

mac

What ?
Reaction score
if i go with a stock looking voltage reg with the upated electronic guts, can i still use my dual field alternator? or do i need to use a single field?

Jim S.

Reaction score
mac said:
if i go with a stock looking voltage reg with the upated electronic guts, can i still use my dual field alternator? or do i need to use a single field?
I put the VR706 guts in my old case, then just grounded one of the field connections on the alt.
Here is a link discussing just that. Might even see some familiar members there.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... 973&page=0

a6t9vette

Reaction score
its my understanding that if your using one of the newer "electronic regulators" with a dual field atlternator that you dont have to worry about the grounding the addtional connector, assuming you have electronic ignition (i.e. no points).

I was under the impression the only time you need to ground that field connector on the regulator is if your using '69 and earlier single field "points" type regulator?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
its my understanding that if your using one of the newer "electronic regulators" with a dual field atlternator that you dont have to worry about the grounding the addtional connector, assuming you have electronic ignition (i.e. no points).

I was under the impression the only time you need to ground that field connector on the regulator is if your using '69 and earlier single field "points" type regulator?

That is correct, but in this case if he is using the VR706 (or similar) the regulator is a direct replacement for the point style regulator.

Actually, the "dual field" is a bit of a misnomer. Its really an "isolated field" alternator. It has two connections for the field, one connected directly to 12 volts and the other to the regulator. The earlier style has one external field connection that connects to the regulator and an internal connection to ground.

When you use a later style (70 and up) alternator with an earlier style regulator you have to ground one side of the field. You can not use an earlier alternator with the later style regualtor.

zupanj

Reaction score
I'd like to revive this thread if I may. To begin I had my Runner on the highway twice this week and the amp gauge was reading a significant charge the whole time. Each trip was about 20 miles. The gauge was also jumping like the turn signal was on. I suspect this means that I have a bad voltage regulator but I am not sure. I always took this kind of stuff to an electrical shop in the past since thetime I went through every possible electrical part using self-diagnosis as a high school kid. I found it was much cheaper to pay someone to use their instruments to find the problem. As a result I am a little unsure of myself with some electrical issues. I don't know what kind of regulator or alternator I have for that matter. So my questions are, is the problem the regulator and if so what is the best option for replacement?

By the way, the car runs absolutely great! I have 3:23 gears in it and that works out really well for street driving. That hemi puts out enough torque to turn a house so even with the high gears, it accelerates like a banshee.

Thanks

Jack

Big John

Reaction score
zupanj said:
I like to revive this thread if I may. To begin I had my Runner on the highway twice this week and the amp gauge was reading a significant charge the whole time. Each trip was about 20 miles. The gauge was also jumping like the turn signal was on. I suspect this means that I have a bad voltage regulator but I am not sure. I always took this kind of stuff to an electrical shop in the past since thetime I went through every possible electrical part using self-diagnosis as a high school kid. I found it was much cheaper to pay someone to use their instruments to find the problem. As a result I am a little unsure of myself with some electrical issues. I don't know what kind of regulator or alternator I have for that matter. So my questions are, is the problem the regulator and if so what is the best option for replacement?

By the way, the car runs absolutely great! I have 3:23 gears in it and that works out really well for street driving. That hemi puts out enough torque to turn a house so even with the high gears, it accelerates like a banshee.

Thanks

Jack

The draw from the turn signal is making the ammeter drop a little each time it flashes. Its not necessarily a problem, but I would do an update to an electronic regulator. Here's what I did: http://69roadrunner.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88&p=723

zupanj

Reaction score
John,

Thanks for that. I was looking for your post but didn't go back far enough. I guess I wasn't clear in what I was trying to describe. I didn't have my turn signal indicator on when the amp gauge was jumping but that was the way the gauge was behaving. Also I was almost on full charge all the way up the road at highway speed. The gauge needle wasn't quite so far over on the street. By the way the voltage regulator in your post looks like the one that is on my car but I think my alternator is the "old" style. I have two leads coming from the alternator, a green wire that looks to be about 16 ga and then a pair of wires coming from the other terminal. They are violet and black(?) and look to be bigger, maybe 12 ga. Does this make sense?

Jack

Jim S.

Reaction score
zupanj said:
John,

Thanks for that. I was looking for your post but didn't go back far enough. I guess I wasn't clear in what I was trying to describe. I didn't have my turn signal indicator on when the amp gauge was jumping but that was the way the gauge was behaving. Also I was almost on full charge all the way up the road at highway speed. The gauge needle wasn't quite so far over on the street. By the way the voltage regulator in your post looks like the one that is on my car but I think my alternator is the "old" style. I have two leads coming from the alternator, a green wire that looks to be about 16 ga and then a pair of wires coming from the other terminal. They are violet and black(?) and look to be bigger, maybe 12 ga. Does this make sense?

I guess my last post didn't make it. If it is still a points car then try the VR706 voltage reg. replacement. You can make it look stock like Big John did and make sure it has a good ground connection to the firewall. This reg uses a single field connection to the alt. They can be found at auto zone or similar for about $20. I'm assuming this problem just started. If that doesn't fix it, then it can be too many other things to just start guessing. (bad or corroded connections including the bulkhead, flakey alt., loose belt, bad battery, etc.) A cheap digital volt/amp meter is nice to have when troubleshooting charging problems. All that said, it doesn't sound like you have the old style single wire or (isolated field) alt. How many "field" connections are there to the alt.? and are you using points?

Jim S.

Reaction score
zupanj said:
I am using an electronic distributor with the Mopar digital ignition.
O.K. forget the VR706 replacement then. That is a electronic replacement for the point style reg. Wait for one of the "pointless" guys to chime in. Can't believe I just said that... :lol:

Big John

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
zupanj said:
I am using an electronic distributor with the Mopar digital ignition.
O.K. forget the VR706 replacement then. That is a electronic replacement for the point style reg. Wait for one of the "pointless" guys to chime in. Can't believe I just said that... :lol:

The VR706 would work well with that. With the Mopar electronic igniton, you should upgrade to an electronic constant output type regulator. With the digital (I assume that is a MSD piece) I don't think that is required.

moparstuart

Reaction score
does anyone know if where i can get one of these solid state type v- regs , the mopar blue one is just too hot for my car and i dont wanna go back to the old big thick one????????????????????????

Jim S.

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
does anyone know if where i can get one of these solid state type v- regs , the mopar blue one is just too hot for my car and i dont wanna go back to the old big thick one????????????????????????
If you are talking about the little VR706, you can get them all over. Auto Zone, O'reilly, even Rockauto.com has them for $10...

moparstuart

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
moparstuart said:
If you are talking about the little VR706, you can get them all over. Auto Zone, O'reilly, even Rockauto.com has them for $10...
cool thanks my auto zone and advanced didnt have them ? I'll try napa and oriellys next

the fryed one i have has a part number of 0391A26 ????

zupanj

Reaction score
Is the VR706 a constant output regulator? What I have now is the little silver regulator like the one in Stuart's photo. I have the Mopar orange box and Mopar pointless distributor on the car now. However I just got an MSD box and coil that I was going to install next week. Would that affect what type of voltage regulator I would use?

Stuart, what do you mean when you say the blue regulator is a little too hot. Does it put out a higher voltage?

moparstuart

Reaction score
zupanj said:
Is the VR706 a constant output regulator? What I have now is the little silver regulator like the one in Stuart's photo. I have the Mopar orange box and Mopar pointless distributor on the car now. However I just got an MSD box and coil that I was going to install next week. Would that affect what type of voltage regulator I would use?

Stuart, what do you mean when you say the blue regulator is a little too hot. Does it put out a higher voltage?

yes they say the blue one is for race motors only and it makes my gauges spike , it has burn up 2 of my orange boxes and two coils and few plug wire sets . Thats why i went back to the stock one and am now looking for this upgraded one but not the blue one . This one in the picture is off my charger and it is great , get nice even steady voltage out of it and no fried parts .

this is one a friend gave me that is old and used to take to auto zone but they couldnt find me one
Notice it looks like the stock one only not as tall and thick

Back