• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight Savings with Aluminum Radiator

ykf7b0

Reaction score
My street/strip road runner has an original style copper/brass radiator and it does a great job but I'm thinking about installing an aluminum version for the weight savings on the front end. I would like to hear from those who have an aluminum radiator and let me know what you think of it and also what is the weight difference between the copper/brass vs aluminum? Thanks!

ArmyInspector

Reaction score
I think this depends if you want or have an all original car vs a resto mod. Aluminum is lighter 30 to 40%, so if your going for speed, aluminum. Each one has advantages over the other in different areas. The decision over which to use in your particular case comes down to what is more important to you. Weight, appearance, originality and cost all need to be considered before you make your decision.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
Thanks. As mentioned this is street/strip and the weight is my only reasoning. 20 to 25 lbs off the front end would be worth it to me.

Last edited:

ykf7b0

Reaction score
Do you have one on your 69 roadrunner?

Last edited:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Look for one that is welded together...not epoxied...
Look for one that has top and bottom bracing welded to the side tanks...not just the tanks welded on...
Stay away from the poor quality Chinese radiators that use stamped aluminum tanks that are very thin and difficult to weld...

No, my A12 does not have an aluminum radiator...but I have had several other cars over the years that did or do...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I don't think you are going to get 20-25 lbs. Maybe 10-15 I-m guessing. You would be better served loosing the front sway bar if you have one, better weight transfer, just won't corner as well.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
You are probably right on the weight being only 10-15 lbs less and the cost will not justify the savings. I have the sway bar removed, 90/10 adjustable shocks, battery relocated to the trunk, aluminum water pump housing, and fiberglass lift off hood. I will be buying aluminum heads when I can afford them.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Sounds good, have you gone to the smallest torsion bar that will work like a /6 or 318 bar?

quikbird

Reaction score
I have a aluminum radiator and it was custom made by PRC. they did a really nice job bought it at the local goodguys show and I think around 500, found a fan setup designed for a jeep on the bargain table at summit. seems to be doing a good job keeping it cool.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'm a "throw it up in the air and if it comes down, it's too heavy" guy, but I seriously doubt if you will lose more than a couple pounds. The aluminum is thicker in the tanks than the copper for one thing.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Now if you really want to get serious about losing weight off the car... There's a bunch of ways.. Lose the 11" front drums and find a 10" set of drums for a Belvedere will take a ton of unsprung front weight off the car. The front bumper doesn't really need all 4 of those braces... etc.

I had a friend replace all the front end sheet metal bolts with titanium and aluminum. I laughed until I picked up the bucket of steel bolts.

ykf7b0

Reaction score
Now if you really want to get serious about losing weight off the car... There's a bunch of ways.. Lose the 11" front drums and find a 10" set of drums for a Belvedere will take a ton of unsprung front weight off the car. The front bumper doesn't really need all 4 of those braces... etc.

I had a friend replace all the front end sheet metal bolts with titanium and aluminum. I laughed until I picked up the bucket of steel bolts.

Very good idea's! Thanks!!

Coyote

Reaction score
Unless you are mandated to have steel parts, go with glass nose (at least the hood), doors, bumper, lexan windows all around the greenhouse (race only)/put it on an amazing diet!

Back