• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does everyone think about clones?

cj69RR

Reaction score
Just leave the Satellite badge on the trunk and make it an A12 Satellite! And enjoy the hell out of your car! Drive it hard and keep it away from your trailer!!

jays69bird

Reaction score
I have nothing against clones as long as they are not passed off as the genuine article. It is your car build it how you want.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Do it up. Nothing wrong with it as long as you are on the up and up if/when it comes time to sell it.

A31PKG

Reaction score
I've often considered building a car that looks like an A12... I would also have a special data plate made that says "NOT A REAL A12 GET OVER IT".

tallhair

Reaction score
Just leave the Satellite badge on the trunk and make it an A12 Satellite! And enjoy the hell out of your car! Drive it hard and keep it away from your trailer!!

I'd say do what you want but agree with basket case, cj, etc .. not many nice satellites. It would be cooler to me to see a really nice Sport Sat and this one looks amazing from the 1 picture I've seen of it :)

modernistsouth

Reaction score
There are a thousand ways to skin a cat. What's important is that the car is staying on the road. Obviously, you're cloning it to enjoy it, not to sell it. Even if you do sell it for more than it would have been all original, that's your prerogative. I agree that Satellites, GTX's, and Roadrunners have their own brand of history and they're all good for their own reasons. But, making an A12 clone is no different to me than putting a 427 hemi into a 383 car. Customizing rods is an American tradition that I personally enjoy being a part of. I prefer not to be critical of a guy for doing what he wants to his car. Just do it full throttle.

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
There are a thousand ways to skin a cat. What's important is that the car is staying on the road. Obviously, you're cloning it to enjoy it, not to sell it. Even if you do sell it for more than it would have been all original, that's your prerogative. I agree that Satellites, GTX's, and Roadrunners have their own brand of history and they're all good for their own reasons. But, making an A12 clone is no different to me than putting a 427 hemi into a 383 car. Customizing rods is an American tradition that I personally enjoy being a part of. I prefer not to be critical of a guy for doing what he wants to his car. Just do it full throttle.
very well said

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
Had a long discussion this evening with a long time Mopar guy that was beating me up over cloning the silver car into a A12 car. He thinks it is an injustice to the Satellite, and that I am just trying to raise the value of the car. I think there is a place for clones as long as you don't alter the numbers. I want the car to look so much like an A12 that people will only be able to tell what it is by looking at the vin. I want to make a nice driver quality car that I can take out and beat on, and not worry about tearing up a a piece of history. I am not trying to fool anyone, I just want to make a cool driver that will never be on the trailer (unless I beat on it a little to hard). What do you guys think?
Build it how you want it, drive it like you stole it & damn the rest, plenty of room in the hobby for a nice car, that just looks like an even much more expensive car... I would leave the Satellite badging, be different... Now after saying that, I don't get the deal that people don't think much of the Satellite, nothing wrong with a clone but nothing wrong with a tricked up Satty either... I'm glad my 68rr is a real RM23 HT RR, but I'd love it just the same, if it was a dressed up/tricked out Satty or Belvedere too, who cares what others think....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
with all the clones, the Satallites and Belvederes are more rare.

cbunt1

Reaction score
Well, I'm sure this will earn me an "Interesting first post" comment :biggrin:

I ended up with a (Roadrunner) clone car, not necessarily because I was looking for one -- but as mentioned above, Satellites are becoming rarer and rarer in original form, and off-the-cuff, I'm finding it would be much more expensive (and difficult) to "un-clone" my car at this point that it would be to complete the resto-mod.

I'd feel differently if the "strobe stripe" hadn't been painted on the car, of course, but it is what it is. Either way, I saw the car, and had to have it. When we met the PO to look at it, my wife saw me light up, and said she knew we'd buy the car....again, as said above, a cool car is a cool car.

I don't try to pass mine off as the real deal, although I find it easier most of the time to just say "see that roadrunner over there" . . . but if anyone really KNOWS anything about these cars, I have no issues with telling them it's a clone.

For me, the best thing about the clone is that I have no heartburn about deviating from "correct" and I can just do it "right" -- without worrying about destroying the value of a 40-50K "real deal" car.

I see all sides of the discussion. I also think there's a difference between a clone and a counterfeit. And a cool car is a cool car. That said, if I found someone that wanted to swap a '72 Sebring in similar mechanical and visual condition for my '72 Clonerunner, I'd sign the title! :)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
better post up some pics of that '72 so we can see it!:jester:
and welcome to the site.

modernistsouth

Reaction score
Well, I'm sure this will earn me an "Interesting first post" comment :biggrin:

... That said, if I found someone that wanted to swap a '72 Sebring in similar mechanical and visual condition for my '72 Clonerunner, I'd sign the title! :)

I like the paint schemes on the RR's better. I never was a big fan of the two-tone paint schemes on the Satellites or the chrome piece for the 7x stripe. My way of "customizing" a Sebring would be what Plymouth already did to make it a Roadrunner. :groucho:

gene69rr

Reaction score
I have a 69 roadrunner that I am making a clone. I have no problems of people making cars a clone as long as the clone is not being past off as the original. My car will have all the correct parts that was on a original A12. But if you have a guy that is restoring an original a12 and most of the drive train and other parts are gone then he has to go find parts to make it back to A12. That is the same as someone that is cloning a car. The only difference in them is the letter "H" instead of the letter "M". If I was looking to buy an high price original A12 I would be cautious if it was the original. It seems strange to me that you see so many A12's that are being past off as original's. So as altered body vin number stamping changed at the radiator core cross member, the deck lid stamping. Engine I.D. stamping altered.

Back