• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does everyone think about clones?

gene69rr

Reaction score
I also want to say, build the car how you want to . Drive it the way you want and enjoy it. People who own a mopar muscle car is a rare breed, if they want to clone it, go for it and enjoy.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My car will have all the correct parts that was on a original A12.
If you are talking about the prestolite and the idle stop solenoid and 070 fan clutch and all of the other hard to find A12 parts - well I think that is really unfortunate for the guys with the real A12s that need them. Slap the aftermarket 6-barrel set-up and the glass hood on it and call it good enough. It's not an A12 and it never will be; what's the sense in preventing the guys with the real McCoys from putting them back together?

But if you have a guy that is restoring an original a12 and most of the drive train and other parts are gone then he has to go find parts to make it back to A12. That is the same as someone that is cloning a car.
Not even close. It is either real or it isn't, no matter how many of the A12 parts you throw at it. The guy with the real A12 that is trying to chase down those same parts is not trying to recreate something that did not exist; rather he is trying to return a rare piece of musclecar history back to it's former glory.

I'm all for clones...when done overtly, for the right reasons, in the right spirit, and they aren't preventing the real cars from being put back right...

HarryHeck

Reaction score
My last car was a '70 Sport Satellite. Don't get me wrong I love my RR but I do miss the Satellite. I got a lot of looks and a whole lot of comments on what a good looker it was. So heres what I'm getting at; do what makes you feel good about the car. Sometimes cloning can put you in an embarrassing situation, like when the RR purist picks the car apart. I was always proud of my Satellite, no reason why you shouldn't be.148.jpg

148.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I like 'em too! When looking for cars, I've seen a few '69 Satellites with 383s and 4-speeds! I had wished I could have gone after a few of those!

Last edited:

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
Go for it... Like others said, don't try to pass it off as something it's not... no harm/no foul, building any type clone/tribute !! I said it once & I'll say again & probably keep repeating it over time :blah: , "build it how ever you want it {use what ever parts you can find or afford}, drive it like you stole it & damn the rest", who cares what someone else thinks, if it makes you happy, that's a good thing, your putting another great car back on the road.... have fun, that's what's important, all the rest is just :loco: BS

Last edited:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Go for it... Like others said, don't try to pass it off as something it's not... no harm/no foul, building any type clone/tribute !! I said it once & I'll say again & probably keep repeating it over time :blah: , "build it how ever you want it {use what ever parts you can find or afford}, drive it like you stole it & damn the rest", who cares what someone else thinks, if it makes you happy, that's a good thing, your putting another great car back on the road.... have fun, that's what's important, all the rest is just :loco: BS

sounds good to me

bobtile

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with clones. Do it the way you want to . As far as someone saying its an injustice to a satellite, That's one mans opinion. I think if you were selling a satellite or a belvidere, more people than not would want it to make a clone of a roadrunner or GTX. They were more popular. If I personally had a satellite, I'm thinking sleeper!

dbc105

Reaction score
I am making changes to my Satellite as I clone it into a Road Runner that I would not do to an original Road Runner. I wanted A/C, PS, PB and most Birds don't have all of that. I am going to add cruise & power windows also. My car is a '68 but on the doors and dash I plan to use '69 decals. I am not building a car that was, I'm building the car I want. Doesn't matter to me if they like it or not. That being said, I intentionally bought a Satellite because I would not want to make the changes to an original RR or GTX though a GTX could have possibly come with most of these options. I also have a 518A and a Ford Explorer rear axle with posi and disc to go into it. I would never do that to an original car, afraid it would de-value it.

Back