• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What I time I had....

Roadcuda

Reaction score
..getting my Formula S registered. When I went for the VIN check they saw that the vin plate didn't have any rivets holding it in. I had thought nothing of it as my '64 is the same way. Well, they say I now have to go to the main office because they suspect it could have been tampered with. The first thing they did was to look up the location of the alternate vin number. They look where directed and couldn't find it. Now the theft unit gets involved. They try looking, same result. They look for it on the radiator support, the only number there is the shipping order which is also on the fender tag, but no part of the vin. Next they ask me to open up the interior in the area where it was supposed to be, and again no number. Only after the fact did I find out for sure that from '62 to '65, Chrysler didn't use rivets, just spot welds or glue depending on the factory, nor did they stamp a second vin until '69.
While the inspector finally agreed that it came without the rivets, he was still looking for the second number. Even after supplying him with the facts of this it took 7 weeks for him to finally accept the vin and that it didn't have the second number, and that was the major sticking point because they had info saying it should be there. When he called to tell me it would be accepted as is, I still had to fill out two more forms, an Affidavit of ownership, and of possession which I finally got yesterday and today my boss was kind enough to let me take a few hours to go get it registered. FINALLY ON THE ROAD!! I have to admit that this guy did keep an open mind through the whole thing and didn't seem to have the attitude that so many of these guys seem to have.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
That could have got sticky, good thing he worked with you. Now have fun with it :drive:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the factory GLUED Vin tags on? didn't know that. wonder who thought that was a good idea? take that guy to Carlisle next year, and he'll see hundreds of cars like that.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
steve....glad it worked out....like it was said it couldve been worse......the mustang i just sold had a door tag missing and when the guy i bought from got a new registration he screwed up the vin number .the guy that just bought it said ....yeah alot of people dont check the vin numbers....so he checked it and didnt say a word that it was screwed up....i was glad for that :D
have a blast before we get hit with snow and salt.....but no bugs :D

droptop

Reaction score
Indiana is not near as difficult. In state titles just go to DMV and get title put into your name. The only time you have to get the VIN verified is with an out of state title. Any branch of law enforcement will do. Just another form to get signed. My neighbor is the county sheriff, so I have never had any problems getting any vehicle verified. :cheers: I'm glad it worked out for you, Steve. Red tape always boils my blood.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Glad it all worked out in your favor :thumbsup:

Here in Michigan I had the same thing happen and all the dmv did is send the sheriff out and make sure the vin matches the title and filled out the paper work and then it cost me $20.00 for him to sign off on the paper work.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
in Ohio with an out of state title, you either go to a new car dealer,DMV, or the title office and they check the vin with the title.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Thanks guys. To celebrate I took the car to work today, and will again Saturday then to my friends house which is about 45 miles away. I will enjoy it as much as I can. In Ct, for cars 25 years old or more they don't require a title. And only cars that came from out of state need to have the VIN check. And even though I had an Oregon title when it was first sold in 2006, that didn't make any difference to them! :brickwall: And yeah Dave, according to the article in the 62 to 65 Mopar site they said some of the factories used glue to hold then tag in place.

If anyone is interested here is a link to that article I mentioned. There is an interesting tale of what someone else went through getting their car registered.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ ... ger64.html

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Thanks guys. To celebrate I took the car to work today, and will again Saturday then to my friends house which is about 45 miles away.

:red2: :red2: :red2:

moparchris

Reaction score
Im glad it worked out. Over here in the peples republik of Kalifornia, the DMV is not so nice. It feels like playing Russian roulete. I just tried yesterday to register 2 vehicles and had to pay for back registration fees even though they had a cert of non operation! Its like the DMV is the mob shaking people down!

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
Its like the DMV is the mob shaking people down!

You got that right. New York introduced the MTA tax in recent years. Basically all residents registering any vehicle must pay an extra fifty bucks in order to bail out the transit authority from their massive debt. Yet the six figure salaries are still in tact, go figure.
I cost me over a hundred bucks to register the Plymouth. I barely put a thousand miles a year on the friggin car. WTF!!

John69RR

Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked out OK Steve. Enjoy the weather while you can. It won't be long before you're shoveling.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
John69RR said:
Glad to hear it worked out OK Steve. Enjoy the weather while you can. It won't be long before you're shoveling.
Thanks John. I will. And don't remind me!!!!! :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Im glad it worked out. Over here in the peples republik of Kalifornia, the DMV is not so nice. It feels like playing Russian roulete. I just tried yesterday to register 2 vehicles and had to pay for back registration fees even though they had a cert of non operation! Its like the DMV is the mob shaking people down!
Chris, how long were those cars off the road? I don't understand why, when you know a car will be off the road for a year or two, you can't let the reg expire until it will be road worthy again.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Think that is bad, try getting a state issued VIN. I was so pissed after that 6 month mess that I sold the car as soon as it got straight. Good thing the owner in GA where they don't keep titles past 85 or so worked with me to get it done. :soap:

I always hear how backwards KY is, yet we manage to keep titles on stuff all the way back. Others just can't seem to pull it off. :huh:

moparchris

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
moparchris said:
Chris, how long were those cars off the road? I don't understand why, when you know a car will be off the road for a year or two, you can't let the reg expire until it will be road worthy again.

Both had several years of dilinquent registration. The one car they said that they levied penalties because I had waited past the ten day grace period when I bought it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
we've got as long as we want, untill you get the title noterized. then you have 30 days, then they add a $5 fine.

Back